How Should I approach for this scenario RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am Newbie in SP

My question is I want to create a Request form in designer with fields name , date, contact details etc, when the user fill out those fields and click submit the values in the fields of the request form should get populated in a List, and the approver must have a access to it, so that he can accept or reject the request. For this case what should be my approach to built it. I am thinking to create aspx form in Sp designer , but i dnt know how to populate these fields into the  list. I am thinking to use workflows. Please guide me.

Suggestions are highly appreciated.

Sunday, February 20, 2011 10:35 PM

Answers

• Couldn't you just create a List, add the columns you want and turn on content approval?  I don't see the need for a custom form.
    • Marked as answer by Peng Lei Monday, February 28, 2011 1:50 AM
    Monday, February 21, 2011 2:32 AM
  • SharePoint builds the New, Edit and Display forms for you automatically when you create a List.  You don't need to connect anything.
    Monday, February 21, 2011 4:17 PM
  • How do i make a connection between custom list and the input form. Could please elaborate it.

David already explained this for you, but I think you haven't worked with lists in SharePoint yet. Here's a step by step instructions:

1. From the main/home page, click on "Site Actions->Create"

2. From the "Custom Lists" section, click on "Custom List"

3. Give it a name and click on "Create"

4. You'll be back at the list that just got created with a default "Title" column

5. Click on "New" button and you'll be presented with a form to enter some information in that "Title" field

6. After you've created a new item, you can just click on it and view it.

7. To create other columns, simply go back to the list and click on "Settings->List Settings"

8. Here you will find a lot of options, one of which is to create/edit your columns.

Pman
    http://www.pmansLab.com/
    Monday, February 21, 2011 4:29 PM
  • After you create your list, users can click on "New" and fill up the form to submit a new request. The data will be saved in the list. So, yes you can use these forms as your request form.

Before you get into SharePoint Designer, I'd recommend that you get yourself familiar with everything that you can do out of the box through browser. You can check out Microsoft Online help site for SharePoint to learn more about it. But, sometimes the best way to learn something is to try it. Get a test site in your environment, where you can test out various features and learn how they work.

Pman
    • Marked as answer by Porter Wang Tuesday, March 8, 2011 2:19 AM
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 1:44 AM

All replies

• Hi, I am Newbie in SP

My question is I want to create a Request form in designer with fields name , date, contact details etc, when the user fill out those fields and click submit the values in the fields of the request form should get populated in a List, and the approver must have a access to it, so that he can accept or reject the request. For this case what should be my approach to built it. I am thinking to create aspx form in Sp designer , but i dnt know how to populate these fields into the  list. I am thinking to use workflows. Please guide me.

Suggestions are highly appreciated. 

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, February 21, 2011 9:55 AM spd apart from wf = design/config forum - wf = wf forum. Unsure it is wf so moving to the former. It is not programming. (From:SharePoint - Development and Programming (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    • Merged by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, February 21, 2011 9:57 AM Identical question in two threads. DO NOT DO THIS AGAIN
    Sunday, February 20, 2011 10:34 PM
  • There are lots of ways to approach this. But the easiest option I think would be to create a custom list with approval option enabled and then use a workflow. You can do all of this right from the browser.

1. Create a custom list and add appropriate fields/columns as you need.

2. Go to the Advanced Settings of the list and then enable the content approval option.

3. Now, go to the list settings and then Workflow settings. Choose the Approval workflow and set it up according to your process.

This is just a highlight of the steps. BTW, what version are you using? I'm working on MOSS 2007.

Hope that helps...

Pman
    Sunday, February 20, 2011 11:48 PM
  • Couldn't you just create a List, add the columns you want and turn on content approval?  I don't see the need for a custom form.
    Monday, February 21, 2011 2:32 AM
  • How do i make a connection between custom list and the input form. Could please elaborate it.
    Monday, February 21, 2011 4:13 PM
  • SharePoint builds the New, Edit and Display forms for you automatically when you create a List.  You don't need to connect anything.
    Monday, February 21, 2011 4:17 PM

David already explained this for you, but I think you haven't worked with lists in SharePoint yet. Here's a step by step instructions:

1. From the main/home page, click on "Site Actions->Create"

2. From the "Custom Lists" section, click on "Custom List"

3. Give it a name and click on "Create"

4. You'll be back at the list that just got created with a default "Title" column

5. Click on "New" button and you'll be presented with a form to enter some information in that "Title" field

6. After you've created a new item, you can just click on it and view it.

7. To create other columns, simply go back to the list and click on "Settings->List Settings"

8. Here you will find a lot of options, one of which is to create/edit your columns.

Pman
    Monday, February 21, 2011 4:29 PM
  • Thank You for replies.

I am completely newbie to SharePoint, so i am learning about it. My actual question if user click a URL link in page, a Request form should open, if the user fills fields in form and submit the form, his details should be automatically populated into list. By your answers I learned that the forms will be generated when i create a custom list! i was wondering whether can i able to use those forms as my request form to serve my purpose? If yes that would great. I designed a form in SP designer 2007, i am  thinking to connect that form to list , so that when user done with, i want that data to get filled in to list.

Monday, February 21, 2011 4:42 PM
  • After you create your list, users can click on "New" and fill up the form to submit a new request. The data will be saved in the list. So, yes you can use these forms as your request form.

Before you get into SharePoint Designer, I'd recommend that you get yourself familiar with everything that you can do out of the box through browser. You can check out Microsoft Online help site for SharePoint to learn more about it. But, sometimes the best way to learn something is to try it. Get a test site in your environment, where you can test out various features and learn how they work.

Pman
    • Marked as answer by Porter Wang Tuesday, March 8, 2011 2:19 AM
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 1:44 AM