Help with Circle/Donuts Shapes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Very new to Design and was hoping that somebody could help me with the following asks based on the included image.

1)  How can I get text to wrap around a circle shape (including all text so that it remains upright to read)
         (see "Consulting", "Managed Services", "Implementation", etc,. in the image below)

2)  How can I cut up a circle/donut and apply certain colors to it (see rings below)....whether it be 1/3, 1/4, of a circle.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Monday, August 17, 2009 10:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

[1 Ans]

step 1: Draw a circle.
    step 2: In Toolbox select Text(T) and Observe the change in cursor when you move your cursor on circular path.
    step 3: Once the cursor changes click and type text.
    step 4: The text will wrap around a circular path outside/inside. if you want to adjust the distance between the circle and the text, adjust the values by selecting Properties>Text>Basel line offset.

[2 Ans]

step 1: Draw 2 circles with different radius(Ex:1a big and 1b small circle). place 1b on 1a. Select both 1a & 1b, Rightclick on it and select Make compound Path. you can view it in ring shape.
    step 2: If you want to cut/break the ring shape, Draw a line start from centre to ourside of the shape{Ex: Y(3 parts) or  +(4 parts)}.
    step 3: Select the ring shape and the lines which are drawn. Now in Menu Bar select[Object>Path Operations>Divide] this will divide/cut the ring shape according the lines drawn.

I prepared images for better understanding :( , but unable to find option to insert image here.

I hope this helps you. if u need more info please feel free to ask me :)

Thanks,
    Santosh
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 11:10 AM
  • Ok, first answer worked great.

Having issues with the second answer.  This is what get when I combine then divide the rings (the line is still in the way).  Can you use clipping paths like that of (Adobe) Illustrator?

Thanks!
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 7:19 PM
  • [Yes] we can use Clipping Path too.

Ex: to divide circle in to 4 peaces

step 1: create 4 Rectangle's[box's] with different color and arrange first 2 side by side, in same way arrange the other 2 below the 2 box's.
    step 2: draw a circle and make sure the circle covers the 4 box's.
    step 3: select all Rightclick>Make Clipping Path>With Top Path.

Please try it now and see :)

Try this also, [2 Ans], you can select part saperately and apply colors, Select all and make Strock color to None in Properties.

Thanks,
    Santosh

• Proposed as answer by Santosh Kumar B Wednesday, August 19, 2009 11:23 AM
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 11:15 AM
  • Hi,

Could you explain how you got the text to type effectively inside the circle? When I try to put text at the bottom of a circle it will only appear updside down below whereas I'd like it right-way-up and inside.

I'm using ED2.

Cheers,

Nick

Monday, May 24, 2010 9:32 AM
  • Hi Nick,

Using the Selection tool (V), select the text. Pick the red line preceeding the text and drag inside the circle, then drag around the inside to reposition.  Search the Help file for "Display text on path" for more information.

Regards,

~Fred
    • Proposed as answer by Fred C_ Tuesday, May 25, 2010 12:43 PM
    Monday, May 24, 2010 1:08 PM
  • Hi Fred,

Excellent! Worked perfectly. I'm getting to quite like this app...

Thanks for your help.

-Nick

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 4:23 PM
  • You're welcome!
    ~Fred
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 7:25 PM