Windows Phone Developer Registration doesn't work for Nokia Lumia 925 RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to unlock my Nokia Lumia 925 phone with the Windows Phone Developer Registration tool with my developer account, but always is showing me an error message "Unable to connect to a Phone. For Windows Phone 7 phones make sure the Zune Software is running and the Zune recognizes your phone. For Windows Phone 8 phones make sure that the Windows Phone IP over USB Transport (IpOverUsbSvc) service is running" .

The tool is working with my another developer devices Nokia Lumia 920 and Nokia Lumia 520. 

Friday, August 30, 2013 2:41 PM

Answers

• I updated my PC to Windows 8.1 and I manage to unlock my Lumia 925. So probably some drivers were missing in previous version (Windows 8 OS) for the phone.

Monday, October 21, 2013 10:42 AM

All replies

• What diagnostic steps have you tried so far?

Does the Phone show up in device manager when it's plugged in?

Does the Phone show up in file explorer under "My Computer"?

-Eric.

Friday, August 30, 2013 6:29 PM
  • Yes the phone show up in file explorer under "My Computer" also "Windows Phone" Windows 8 store app is recognizing my phone and I can import pictures or videos from my Lumia 925 to My Computer. But the "Windows Phone Registration" program is not recognizing the phone.

Is there some update to this tool or should I download some "special" driver update for my phone?

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 8:30 AM
  • Ensure phone lock screen is unlocked and "IpOverUsbSvc" is still running at Task Manager

If everything is ok, you may try to register for several times. This tool has problems sometimes.

Goodluck!

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 11:30 AM
  • A couple things to check:
    * (as Linh mentioned) Make sure IpOverUsbSvc is running, i.e. "Windows Phone IP over USB Transport (IpOverUsbSvc)"

* Make sure the name you give the phone is between 5 and 15 characters long and contains only alpha-numeric characters from the ASCII character set.  (You can rename the phone once registration is complete.)

* Make sure the phone has it's own data connection to the internet.

* Make sure the date and time on both your phone and your desktop are correct.  
       To check the date and time on your phone go to settings -> "date+time" and turn off "Set automatically".  This will allow you to see the currently set time zone, Date, and Time settings.
       note: If your phone does not have a SIM then the "Set automatically" option in date+time settings may not work because the time service is usually configured by device management provisioning from the mobile operator / carrier associated with the SIM.

-Eric.

• Proposed as answer by hgmbm Sunday, March 1, 2015 5:11 PM
    Tuesday, September 10, 2013 1:18 PM
  • Already checked all these things and still is not recognizing the phone.<o:p></o:p>

Interesting thing the Windows Phone Registration tool is working on my other PC with Visual Studio 2013 Preview.<o:p></o:p>

I unlocked the phone, but when I am trying to deploy the app on my working machine with Visual Studio 2012 doesn't work L. <o:p></o:p>

Vane Georgiev

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:36 PM
  • Then perhaps some firewall or other networking related service is interfering with the IP over USB connection.

(Media Sync uses MTP ... AFAIK, only the development tools use the IP Over USB service.)

For example: some users reported a similar problem when some version Cisco VPN software was installed... although I don't recall ever finding out what it was doing to cause the conflict. 

-Eric.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 4:24 PM
  • Tried everything and is working on my lumia 920 and 520, but not with 925 :(.

Last thing is to remove the WP8 SDK and reinstall it again.

Does anyone have lumia 925 and tried to developer unlock it with Windows Phone Developer Registration tool?

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 3:19 PM
  • Have you installed Visual Studio 2012 Update 3?

Have you tried uninstalling the Window Phone driver then plug in your 925 and let windows discover and install the driver again?

I'm having a hard time coming up with any known issue which fits all the symptoms you describe.

What OS version does it show on your 925?

-Eric.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 3:36 PM
  • Hi Eric,

See my answers:

Have you installed Visual Studio 2012 Update 3? - yes

Have you tried uninstalling the Window Phone driver then plug in your 925 and let windows discover and install the driver again? - yes I tried

What OS version does it show on your 925? - OS version: 8.0.10328.78

Nothing works so far.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 4:30 PM
  • Yes.
    I have exactly the same issue.

The latest versions of all products that somehow are relate to the phone.
    I shutdown antivirus and firewall.
    Reinstalling SDK, drivers...
    Nothing help.
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 9:31 AM
  • Hi,

I have the same issue. Tried everything mentioned without success.

In my situation it worked (Nokia 920) until just over a week ago. I have a suspicion that it might have to do with Fiddler.

I installed Fiddler a few weeks ago to try and inspect the web traffic of my app. That didn't really work and result in my Emulator having no web connectivity. I then uninstalled Fiddler and the next day I had this issue.

I tried to have a look to make sure everything Fiddler related is uninstalled and it seems so. I am still struggling to get this solved though...

Thursday, October 17, 2013 6:07 PM
  • Have a look at this thread, it solve my problem. There are a few solutions in there. I think the second one worked for me.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/wpapps/en-US/314a50ee-ac0e-4c78-8c8d-c81092fd362b/no-windows-phone-8-detected?forum=wptools

Thursday, October 17, 2013 7:11 PM
  • It interesting thread.
    I try too unlock Lumia 925 on another PC and it was successful try.
    Now I am confident that the problem in my PC.
    Went to clean the registry keys and drivers.

If after cleaning the developer tools will recognize USB device (ie Phone), I will write in this thread

Friday, October 18, 2013 11:19 AM
  • I updated my PC to Windows 8.1 and I manage to unlock my Lumia 925. So probably some drivers were missing in previous version (Windows 8 OS) for the phone.

Monday, October 21, 2013 10:42 AM
  • Hello - I am having the same issue with the Lumia 925.  PC recognizes it but the dev phone reg tool does not.  Please help!

KelleyBryant@gmail.com

Kelley Bryant

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 6:19 PM
  • Did you try manually uninstalling the driver then reconnecting to phone to force driver re-install?

-Eric.

Friday, March 7, 2014 2:34 PM