Businesses and the Power Pivot Add-On RRS feed

• Question

• I am doing research for a school project and I need to know:

1. What types of businesses would most benefit from the Power-Pivot add-on?

2. Could the Power-Pivot add-on be useful to ANY online business regardless of size? (please support your answer with examples)

If anyone can help me that would be great.

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 10:30 PM

Answers

• Hi Karma0016,

Below are my answers to your questions which are by no means exhaustive but should help at least.

1) Generally speaking, any business with data that they wish to analyse and draw insights from can benefit from Power Pivot. Power Pivot can be used to analyse 10s of millions of rows of data with relative ease. 100 million rows is possible but is pushing it. It's great for creating data marts or analysing focused subsets of much larger data sets. Smaller businesses may be able to use Power Pivot (and Power BI) as their sole analytics platform whereas larger business generally use it to help various departments to be more responsive to their business environments when it comes to data analytics.

2) As mentioned above, Power Pivot can be beneficial to any business regardless of size. Ultimately it's all about the data and data analytics requirements. I've seen startups use it as well as very large enterprises.

If you'd like to get a better idea of how Power Pivot (and Power BI) is being used and by what types of businesses, you can read some of these Power BI customer stories.

Edit: It appears that the customer stories url now redirects to the Power BI site but you get the idea :)

Regards,

Michael Amadi

Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to vote it as helpful :)

• Marked as answer by karma0016 Tuesday, May 5, 2015 10:08 PM
    • Edited by Michael Amadi Tuesday, May 5, 2015 10:37 PM
    Monday, May 4, 2015 5:57 PM

All replies

• Does anyone have a suggestion for Karma?

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure & Power BI Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Friday, May 1, 2015 8:48 PM
  • Hi Karma0016,

Below are my answers to your questions which are by no means exhaustive but should help at least.

1) Generally speaking, any business with data that they wish to analyse and draw insights from can benefit from Power Pivot. Power Pivot can be used to analyse 10s of millions of rows of data with relative ease. 100 million rows is possible but is pushing it. It's great for creating data marts or analysing focused subsets of much larger data sets. Smaller businesses may be able to use Power Pivot (and Power BI) as their sole analytics platform whereas larger business generally use it to help various departments to be more responsive to their business environments when it comes to data analytics.

2) As mentioned above, Power Pivot can be beneficial to any business regardless of size. Ultimately it's all about the data and data analytics requirements. I've seen startups use it as well as very large enterprises.

If you'd like to get a better idea of how Power Pivot (and Power BI) is being used and by what types of businesses, you can read some of these Power BI customer stories.

Edit: It appears that the customer stories url now redirects to the Power BI site but you get the idea :)

Regards,

Michael Amadi

Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to vote it as helpful :)

• Marked as answer by karma0016 Tuesday, May 5, 2015 10:08 PM
    • Edited by Michael Amadi Tuesday, May 5, 2015 10:37 PM
    Monday, May 4, 2015 5:57 PM