Error with Web Services 2.0 RRS feed

• Question

• User1956986559 posted

Hi,
    I have a asp.net Web Service 2.0 , it is currently hosted in a server. We need to move to a new server soon, when I copy the code and set up the web service in the new Server and browse the project files (asmx) through asmx, it's opening fine. I have a winforms app which calls one of the urls in this webservice. When it calls the URl, I get an error saying "The request failed with HTTP status 404: Not Found".
    What can cause this? and how should I fix it?

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 11:27 AM

Answers

• User220959680 posted

it's still throwing that error.

check the following

• Is it configured to use the correct .NET version i.e., Web Service Extensions from the IIS Manager UI.
    • Check the identity
    • Check the managed pipeline mode; some applications require Classic to be used

Is the exception thrown when specific  method is consumed in WinForms app ? 

Also server updates i.e., 2008r2 can block the process. 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 5:35 AM

All replies

• User220959680 posted

open up the application mappings for the virtual directory that is hosting the webservice, double click on the .asmx mapping and uncheck the "check if file exists" check box.  That's it, now IIS lets the request get filtered down correctly.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 3:22 PM
  • User1956986559 posted

Thank you Sukumarraju,
    I did that, (Actually I'm using IIS 6.1 in windows server 2008r2), the equivalent to this is to Go to "Handler Mappings" and click on the *.asmx and then click Request Restrictions and under the Mappings tab, Uncheck "Invoke handler only if request is mapped to". (http://blogs.iis.net/bills/archive/2007/05/25/tip-trick-how-to-turn-off-quot-verify-file-exists-quot-in-iis7.aspx). However, even after this, it's still throwing that error. Any ideas?

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 5:06 PM
  • User220959680 posted

it's still throwing that error.

check the following

• Is it configured to use the correct .NET version i.e., Web Service Extensions from the IIS Manager UI.
    • Check the identity
    • Check the managed pipeline mode; some applications require Classic to be used

Is the exception thrown when specific  method is consumed in WinForms app ? 

Also server updates i.e., 2008r2 can block the process. 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 5:35 AM
  • User1956986559 posted

Thank you sukumarraju,
    The managed pipeline mode did the trick, for some reason it was set to "Classic" and when I changed it to "Integrated", it worked.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 3:55 PM