Can metro communicate with software-only UMDF driver without HW?

Question

• Can metro communicate with software-only UMDF driver without HW ?

Just like ISRUsbFx2 driver, if no HW, can it running?

Qiusheng Xie

• Moved by Jesse Jiang Monday, June 4, 2012 9:29 AM (From:Building Metro style apps with C++ )
    Sunday, June 3, 2012 3:52 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi ,

I think your issue should be raised in the Tailoring your Metro style app for hardware and devices. I believe they will know more information of this issue than us, and I will move this one to that forum.

Thanks for your understanding,

Best regards,

Jesse

Jesse Jiang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, June 4, 2012 9:29 AM
  • Qiusheng Xie,

Metro style device apps require hardware.  There are some exceptions for drivers that filter hardware device drivers.  You must own the hardware and class filters are not allowed.  Currently we have published guidance for external devices.

Best Wishes - Eric

Monday, June 4, 2012 2:35 PM
  • Qiusheng Xie,

Metro style device apps require hardware.  There are some exceptions for drivers that filter hardware device drivers.  You must own the hardware and class filters are not allowed.  Currently we have published guidance for external devices.

Best Wishes - Eric

Hi Eric,

As you know, user mode applications (desktop mode) could communicate with pure software device drivers by IOCTL, etc. You mean for metro applications, they cannot communicate with pure software device drivers?

Qiusheng Xie

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 12:40 AM
  •  As you know, user mode applications (desktop mode) could communicate with pure software device drivers by IOCTL, etc. You mean for metro applications, they cannot communicate with pure software device drivers?

Qiusheng Xie

Yes,

This only applies to Metro style apps.  Desktop apps work just like on Windows 7.

Best Wishes - Eric

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 12:47 AM
  • Hi Eric,

I wonder to know that : can we use virtual device driver to communicate with metro application?

here virtual device driver means no real HW releated to it.

Qiusheng Xie

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 12:52 AM
  • Hi Eric,

I wonder to know that : can we use virtual device driver to communicate with metro application?

Qiusheng Xie

No,

This is not allowed

Best Wishes - Eric

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 1:09 AM
  • Thanks!

Qiusheng Xie

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 4:30 AM
  • You are very welcome Qiusheng Xie.

Best Wishes - Eric

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 4:31 AM
  • Hi Eric,

Qiusheng Xie

No,

This is not allowed

Best Wishes - Eric

How is this enforced?  If an OEM installs my software driver with appropriate metadata, what prevents my Metro apps from using it?

Thanks.

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 11:10 PM
  • Hi Eric,

Qiusheng Xie

No,

This is not allowed

Best Wishes - Eric

What is the philosophy behind of this limitation?

Is there any official documentation on this to guide developers?

Thanks

Sam

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 12:48 AM
  • Qiusheng Xie,

Best Wishes - Eric

Hi Eric,

Could you tell me about the details of the exceptions for Metro style device apps access filter hardware device drivers?

Thanks.

Monday, June 18, 2012 10:37 AM
  • Mike,

If you could tell me know more about your hardware it would be helpful.  We have only published guidance for external devices.  A partial list of requirements are that it must be a device specific filter and the device must be your own. 

Best Wishes - Eric 

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 9:07 PM
  • Eric,

I want to communicate with the filter driver of specific keyboard but it's not my device.

Does this case fit the exception you mentioned?

Thanks.

• Edited by Mike_Wu Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:08 AM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:03 AM
  • Mike,

It would need to be your device.  A little additional information is that for HID devices a function driver is required which can only be done for your device.  We have a sample here: http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowshardware/HID-Client-Sample-2e2a6281

Best Wishes - Eric 

Thursday, June 21, 2012 3:56 PM