Future of Win32 platform RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Can anyone please explain to me what is the future of the Win32-64 API or "unmanaged platform"?

So, I would like to know:

Is it still worth to learn or have to forget it, becous it is already a technical history?

Will the future's operating system support win32 native code applications?

Will be there only 1 platform: .NET Framework 2.0 WinFX?

Is really .NET Framework much better than Win32?

Excuse me for my language mistakes ...

Your answer is appreciated.

Thursday, April 20, 2006 1:51 PM

All replies

• Like most things in Software Architecture the answer depends on what kind of software you are writing.  If you are writing application software especially business applications then I think Win32 is definitely on the way out.  The productivity advantages of managed code development outweigh any small performance advantages you would get from unmanaged code.  On the other hand, there are some areas that managed code hasn't penetrated yet and probably won't move to managed for a few years yet.  Low level systems code like device drivers, OS's, network stacks, databases, etc. still require managed code either because they need that to be closer to the hardware for performance reasons or they need to do things that managed code can't do yet.  I think this is analogous to the early days of PC's when you had to do the system stuff in assembler because the higher level languages could handle it.  Over a few years the high level languages got more capable and now it has been years since I've even seen an assembler.

There are still quite a few companies that haven't moved to managed code yet (heck there are still some companies that have most of their code in COBOL) so you might end up in a job that requires VB6 or C++ but as time goes on, the number of places that don't use managed code will decrease.  Bottom line, learning Win32 isn't a waste of time because there will be some demand for it for the next several years but if you have to choose, I would recommend managed as the best long term move unless you are interested in writing low-level system code.

Sunday, April 23, 2006 1:48 AM