How to backup the Virtual Machine VHD file from Azure storage to a local drive? RRS feed

• Question

• I am very happy with Azure so far. I have a Virtual Machine up and running. The only problem is, I would like to download a copy of the VHD file as a backup without stopping the Virtual Machine for very long. Two questions:

Perhaps, I could reboot it, take a snapshot and then start it again? How can this be done?

The image is 30GB and takes about several hours to download. Once I get a copy, is there a byte differential copy method such as Rsync I can use?

• Moved by Johnson - MSFT Wednesday, November 28, 2012 10:13 AM Virtual Machine Issue (From:Windows Azure Storage, CDN and Caching)
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 3:25 AM

Answers

• IDA Dev,

Perhaps, I could reboot it, take a snapshot and then start it again? How can this be done?
    You can use a third party storage management tool that provides a gui to create and download snapshots. CloudXplorer is one example of tool with such functionality.

The image is 30GB and takes about several hours to download. Once I get a copy, is there a byte differential copy method such as Rsync I can use? There is byte diferential copy available for that.

Flavio Muratore Sr. Support Escalation Engineer Windows Azure Technical Support

Thursday, November 29, 2012 1:04 AM

All replies

• IDA Dev,

You can use a third party storage management tool that provides a gui to create and download snapshots. CloudXplorer is one example of tool with such functionality.

The image is 30GB and takes about several hours to download. Once I get a copy, is there a byte differential copy method such as Rsync I can use? There is byte diferential copy available for that.

Flavio Muratore Sr. Support Escalation Engineer Windows Azure Technical Support

Thursday, November 29, 2012 1:04 AM
  • Thanks, what is the byte diferential copy? Can I use RSYNC? How is this implemented?
    Tuesday, December 4, 2012 7:43 PM
  • I tried CloudExplorer and it does not have any byte differential copy method that I can find. So I have to copy the entire 30GM image as a local backup. Does anyone know of a good  differential copy method that works like Rsync?
    CloudExplore

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 2:21 AM