none
Net Framework 4.0 Slowed XPSP3 Boot Time To A Crawl! RRS feed

• Question

• Ok Guys

Net Framework 4.0 showed up in my updates. So I installed it and rebooted. My machine took almost 4 minutes to reboot. I am running XP Media Center SP3, 4gb DDR2 Ram, Intel Pentium D Processor @ 280 ghz. Everything was workinf perfectly ans fast until this time it only took 45 to 60 seconds or so to boot. Wallpaper shows up then forever before anything else besides volume control.

Went back and uninstalled net Framework 4.0 and back up to speed with no problems and boots like normal. No one on any of the forums I have visited have had an honest answer. I have seen numerous posts about this problem with boot times and most have gotten a run around from microsoft techies. Saying it did not install right and to try from here or there to reinstall it. All to no avail. It is so hard to get microsoft to admit they have a problem on a new introduction of a product. Can anyone tell me the truth here and are you working on a fix or patch? Thanks Dale 

Thursday, September 2, 2010 3:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Nor_Cal_Dale,

Welcome to MSDN forums.

Based on your description, there are many factors might cause your issue.

I would provide some suggestions with you.

-          Could you please reproduce this scenario in Safe Mode?

-          Could you please attempt to run executeQueuedItems, which execute queued compilation jobs.

If a priority is specified, compilation jobs with greater or equal priority are executed. If no priority is specified, all queued compilation jobs are executed.

Or you could attempt to disable your Ngen. Then try it again.

You could attempt to queue pause, which could pause the native image service.

See: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/6t9t5wcf.aspx for more information about Ngen.exe.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards

Larcolais Gong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by Larcolais Gong Thursday, September 9, 2010 3:06 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Larcolais Gong Friday, September 10, 2010 1:21 AM
    Monday, September 6, 2010 8:30 AM
  • Hi Nor_Cal_Dale,

I'm writing to follow-up this post.

Any update?

Best Regards

Larcolais Gong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 6:42 AM
  • Mr Gong

I at this point do not wish to try something that I am not sure of. I am an intermediate computer user not a tech. So some of the things you are asking of me are beyond my expertise. Any other more simple way we can check this out? Thanks Dale

Thursday, September 9, 2010 3:06 PM
  • Mr Gong I still had no problems until i installed Net Framework 4.0. Not only myself I have seen many many posts on other threads too. Just do a Google Search and take a look yourself. Something such as Net Framework 4.0 slowed my computer. You will see I am not alone. I sincerely think microsoft should offer a work around or patch for this to the novice or intermediate user. Microsoft has enough bad publicity without adding to it by coming out with a new update that is messing up peoples computers. Thanks Dale
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 3:23 PM