SQL Server 2008 R2 IntelliSense not working RRS feed

• Question

• I am running SQL Server 2008 R2 (version info below) and IntelliSense is not working.  I am connected to a SQL Server 2008 Edition database.

IntelliSense is enabled, SQLCMD mode is turned off.  I refreshed the local cache.  I am accessing simple table objects for which I have access rights.  All of the usual suspects are covered and still I have no IntelliSense functionality. 

Any ideas?

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio                        10.50.1600.1
    Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools                        10.50.1600.1
    Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC)                        6.1.7600.16385
    Microsoft MSXML                        3.0 5.0 6.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer                        8.0.7600.16385
    Microsoft .NET Framework                        2.0.50727.4927
    Operating System                        6.1.7600

Friday, July 16, 2010 9:48 PM

Answers

• Hello all!

I had the same issue, that intellisense did not work on SQL Server 2008 R2.

On my system the reason for this behaviour was a database which was switched offline.

When i switched all databases online, intellisense worked (after i refreshed the local cache).

To test it, i switched one database offline again, and after i refreshed the local cache intellisense didn't work again.

Perhaps this helps others to solve the problem.

Silent_R
    • Proposed as answer by daveward10 Tuesday, November 30, 2010 7:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Kalman TothEditor Thursday, February 10, 2011 9:32 PM
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 12:11 PM

All replies

• is there any other software installed on server which can do intellisense (like SQL Prompt?)
    Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question Personal Blog - http://blogs.msdn.com/blakhani Our Team Blog - http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlserverfaq
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 1:51 PM
  • is there any other software installed on server which can do intellisense (like SQL Prompt?)
    Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question Personal Blog - http://blogs.msdn.com/blakhani Our Team Blog - http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlserverfaq

if you use Ctrl + J, does it show the list?

Check Tools >> Options >> Text Editor >> Transact-SQL >> General >> Auto List Members and Parameter Information?

• Proposed as answer by vsinha73 Wednesday, July 20, 2011 9:11 PM
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 1:58 PM
  • 1. SQL Prompt is not installed.  I do not know of any other software that does intellisense.  Other software installed in the same general subject area: Visual Studio 2010, BizTalk Server 2010, an appropriate .Net supporting these.

2. Ctrl + J does nothing.

3. "Auto List Members" and "Parameter Information" are both checked.

I had a working Intellisense in SQL Server2008 (not R2).  I went through a long installation process of the BizTalk 2010 components.  This required installing SQL Server 2010 R2, Visual Studio 2010, and underlying support software.  At the end of this process SQL Server worked nicely but Intellisense stopped working.  The whole BizTalk installation process was laborious, taking over two days, and I would like to avoid uninstalling and reinstalling the whole mess if possible.

Monday, July 19, 2010 3:35 PM
  • I have the same experience. After installing some windows updates intellisense stopped working. I'm using SQL Server Management Studio 10.50.1600.1 to connect to MS SQL Server 2008 (v 10.0.2714.0).
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 1:58 PM
  • Hi Tjeez,
    I have been in touch with another customer having similar issue. Could you please send me an email blakhani (at) koolmail (dot) in
    I would like to have more information about this issue.

Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/blakhani
    Team Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlserverfaq
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 6:08 PM
  • Can you check if you fall in any of the conditions given in the KB article?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms173434.aspx

Vidhya Sagar. Mark as Answer if it helps!
    • Proposed as answer by vesterRDL Wednesday, September 19, 2012 8:17 PM
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 1:55 AM
  • Other users in the company experienced the same issue. Today I installed SP2 on SQL Server 2008 (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=8fbfc1de-d25e-4790-88b5-7dda1f1d4e17&displaylang=en) and now intellisense is back! So, installing SQL Server 2008 SP2 solved the issue for me, but I guess that is not for everyone an option.

[EDIT] 

My conclusion:

SSMS 10.0.2531.0

SQL Server 2008 v10.0.2714.0

intellisense works

SSMS 10.50.1600.1

SQL Server 2008 v10.0.2714.0

no intellisense

SSMS 10.50.1600.1

SQL Server 2008 v10.0.4000.0 (= SP2)

intellisense works

[/EDIT]

@VidhyaSaga: No, I do not fall in any of the conditions.

• Proposed as answer by Tjeez Thursday, October 7, 2010 8:52 AM
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 8:12 AM
  • Hello all!

I had the same issue, that intellisense did not work on SQL Server 2008 R2.

On my system the reason for this behaviour was a database which was switched offline.

When i switched all databases online, intellisense worked (after i refreshed the local cache).

To test it, i switched one database offline again, and after i refreshed the local cache intellisense didn't work again.

Perhaps this helps others to solve the problem.

Silent_R
    • Proposed as answer by daveward10 Tuesday, November 30, 2010 7:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Kalman TothEditor Thursday, February 10, 2011 9:32 PM
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 12:11 PM
  • I was also able to get intellisense working again by bringing one of the offline databases on my server back online.

I'm running SSMS 10.50.1600.1 connecting to SQL Server 10.0.4000

If I take the same database offline again, intellisense stops working.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 9:38 PM
  • I am not able to get intellisense working. I have no offline databases on my servers. I try to take the database offline and online but it did not resolve the intellisense problem.

I'm running SSMS 10.50.1600.1 and all my 2008 (not R2) have SP2 installed.

Monday, April 18, 2011 9:25 AM
  • What is the SQL Server version to which you are connect? Run Select @@version and post the output please.
    Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Monday, April 18, 2011 9:45 AM
  • I'm trying to get the SQL 2008R2 cumulative update 7 from this url, but the basic SQL Server update seems to be missing for x64:

http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=2507770&kbln=en-us

x32 and ia64 show SQLServer2008R2_RTM_CU7_2507770_10_50_1777_x86 or _ia64, but no x64.

1. Is there some other way to get CU7 for x64?

2. Does CU7 fix Intellisense and still allow offline databases? I have some db I prefer to leave offline, but can detach them if necessary.

Sunday, April 24, 2011 5:21 PM
  • I will report missing CU to Program Manager of SQL Release Services. Will post back once I have that fixed.
    Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Sunday, April 24, 2011 5:43 PM
  • Thank you. In the meantime, I detached the offline databases, and Intellisense is still not working. I should clarify a bit- Intellisense does give me lists of database objects, but does not give anything when it should present a column list. So when typing a SQL Select statement, I get the normal Intellisense prompt for tables and views when I enter the From clause. Having completed the From clause though, I don't get any Intellisense when I enter the Select clause.

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio- version 10.50.1765.0.

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (RTM) - 10.50.1765.0 (X64) with CU 6, Developer Edition running on Win 7 x64 SP 1.

I saw other posts referring to this issue after installing Visual Studio 2010 SP1. I do have that installed, and I saw a note somewhere that CU 7 is supposed to get Intellisense working again. Once I get CU 7 and install it, I can test again to see if offline db still causes a problem for Intellisense.

Sunday, April 24, 2011 10:28 PM
  • Some further investigation shows that Intellisense works with some of the tables, but not others. This database has been upgraded for a number of years. It was probably originally created in SQL Server 7. While I don't see obvious causes for the difference, it seems that most of the tables where Intellisense gives column lists have been created in SQL Server 2005 or later, while the tables where Intellisense does not give column lists were probably first created in SQL Server 7. Altering a table where Intellisense does not work does not change anything.
    Monday, April 25, 2011 1:30 PM
  • I was able to download SQL 2008 R2 CU7 for x64. After installation, Intellisense works correctly on the tables where it did not with CU6. The error on opening a database object file in VS 2001 SP1 database project has also disappeared.

Thank you Balmukund for getting the CU available. Everything is fine now.

• Proposed as answer by CMIOL Thursday, May 5, 2011 11:03 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by CMIOL Thursday, May 5, 2011 11:03 AM
    Monday, April 25, 2011 3:38 PM
  • Sorry If I ask a stupid question

I follow this link:  http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=2507770&kbln=en-us

and I found 6 link for SQL 2008 R2 CU7

- 2008R2_RTM_SNAC_CU7_2507770_10_50_1777_x64

- 2008R2_RTM_SapBI_CU7_2507770_10_50_1777_x64

- 2008R2_RTM_MDS_CU7_2507770_10_50_1777_x64

- 2008R2_RTM_PPExcel_CU7_2507770_10_50_1777_x64

- SQLServer2008R2_RTM_CU7_2507770_10_50_1777_x64

- 2008R2_RTM_RSShrPnt_CU7_2507770_10_50_1777_x64

Do I have to download and install all?

Thursday, May 5, 2011 11:16 AM
  • You need SQLServer2008R2_RTM_CU7_2507770_10_50_1777_x64 if you want to patch SQL Server normal installation.
    Rest files are for different components.

SNAC = SQL Server Native Client
    SapBI = SAP BI connector
    MDS = Master Data Services
    PPExcel = PowerPivot For Excel
    RSShrPnt = RS Share Point

Thursday, May 5, 2011 11:19 AM
  • Hello Balkumund,

I tried downloading the hotfix today, as it looks like the fix for exactly my situation. However, I got the following exception when I tried to dowload it:

The system is currently unavailable. I tried it several times during the day.

Can you help me?

Friday, June 10, 2011 12:21 PM
  • Hello Balkumund,

I tried downloading the hotfix today, as it looks like the fix for exactly my situation. However, I got the following exception when I tried to dowload it:

The system is currently unavailable. I tried it several times during the day.

Can you help me?

Hi Chris,
    I can see the same error. Let me escalate this internally and will post once I hear back from them.
    My Blog | Team Blog | @Twitter
    Friday, June 10, 2011 1:05 PM
  • Thanks Balkamund for your quick response,

I'll track this item for your reply

Friday, June 10, 2011 1:34 PM
  • Thanks Balkamund for your quick response,

I'll track this item for your reply

If you want hotfix urgently, you can contact us via support line and open a case to receive hotfix. (this would be a grace case)

Friday, June 10, 2011 1:49 PM
  • Igot the hotfix through Tech support; thanks for your help Balmukund!

Chris

Friday, June 10, 2011 5:15 PM
  • Igot the hotfix through Tech support; thanks for your help Balmukund!

Chris

Great! Thanks for updating us back.
    Friday, June 10, 2011 5:50 PM
  • after install VS2010 SP1 SQL Server 2008 R2 IntelliSense not working.

install SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 CTP solve the problem.

Lu Peng
    Monday, June 13, 2011 10:44 AM
  • Hi,

I have the same issue, maybe from different versions on the server - Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 10.50.1790.0 - and the client - Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 10.50.1617.0.

If I try to install SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 CTP  or another hotfix installed by the administrator on the server (SQLServer2008R2-KB2261464-x64) , I receive the following error : A failure was detected for a previous installation, patch or repair during configuration for features [SQL_BIDS_full]......

Error code 0x48B20001

Yesterday I installed a local client for Dynamics Ax6, which required some prerequisites.

Thanks,

Rina

Friday, July 15, 2011 10:00 AM
  • Hello,

Have you tried to select from the object explorer the database and afterwards to open a new query?

I had the same problem with intellisence and I noticed that if you have not sellected a database then intellisence is not working.

Let me know if this helps.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis

PS.
    I also noticed that the above solution I proposed was not working sometimes.

I disconected from the database, entered as administrator and it was working.

Later I disconected again and reconected with the typical login account that intellicense was not working and it appeared to work correctly.

I do not know what is happening but this might help you.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 12:21 PM
  • Hello Balmukund,

My Intellisense is working, though it's not working like in SQL Server 2008.

When I start typing, al the members are listed, but to use the selected member, I have to use <enter> and I can't use the <space> anymore.

Is there a way to fix this cause I'm used to the use of the <space>.

Kind regards,

Frank Meijer

Thursday, February 2, 2012 10:13 AM
  • Hi ,

I was having the same problem and i found hot fix CU 7 as the solution for it and installed,but i dont have any luck and i didint find any performance improvement.Some body please suggest me with proper CU or proper steps to get the solution for "Performance decreases after i move a report that contains a large multi-select drop-down parameter list to SQL Server 2008 R2 Reporting Services" issue.

Thanks,

Praveen Konda

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 2:20 PM
  • I suggest you to start a new thread. For SQL Server 2008 R2 you need to install SP1 (this is the latest service pack). There are some CU after that, but I don't think you should install them unless you know which particular problem applies to your case and needs to be addressed.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:59 PM
  • Install SQL Server 2008 R2 CU9!!!
    • Proposed as answer by mes222 Friday, September 13, 2013 6:23 PM
    Friday, February 24, 2012 7:17 PM
  • Select the Edit menu, select IntelliSense, then select Refresh Local Cache.

Use the CTRL+Shift+R keyboard shortcut.

Disconnect your editor window from the instance of the Database Engine and reconnect.
    Saturday, August 18, 2012 12:15 PM

Disconnect your editor window from the instance of the Database Engine and reconnect.
    Saturday, August 18, 2012 12:16 PM

Saturday, August 18, 2012 12:16 PM
  • Thanks this worked for me.
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:44 AM
  • Service Pack1 solved the IntelliSense issue.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26727

• Proposed as answer by joeller Wednesday, October 16, 2013 3:19 PM
    Tuesday, April 9, 2013 2:18 PM
  • SP may work in 2008 but not 2008 R2 developer edition

DA

• Edited by D A Monday, April 15, 2013 4:20 AM
    Monday, April 15, 2013 4:20 AM
  • delete ) than you can download!

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 5:21 PM