How to import data from Excel file to SDF database RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me how can I achieve the file import of XLS file and read the data inside to insert into the respective table in my SDF database in the mobile devices?

Thanks.

Regards,

Jenson

Friday, June 29, 2007 3:18 AM

Answers

• Hi ErikEJ,

I have found out that I can't do that =p

So I give up on that and have a workaround, now I have problem exporting data from SDF to Excel file. I will make a new thread for this, hope you and the rest would be able to help me out, very urgent.

Thanks.

Regards,

Jenson

Wednesday, July 4, 2007 9:21 AM

All replies

• Since Pocket Excel does not have any object model you’d need to reverse engineer Excel file format, write a parser for these files and then (the easy part) parse it, load data and insert it into SQL CE database. On a desktop you can open data connection to the Excel file and that task become much easier. You might also consider using some other format, e.g. XML or CSV.

Friday, June 29, 2007 4:29 PM
  •  Ilya Tumanov wrote:

Since Pocket Excel does not have any object model you’d need to reverse engineer Excel file format, write a parser for these files and then (the easy part) parse it, load data and insert it into SQL CE database. On a desktop you can open data connection to the Excel file and that task become much easier. You might also consider using some other format, e.g. XML or CSV.

Hi IIya,

Thanks for replying to my question, I'm still have some doubts. First of all, how would the parser like, what is the processes need to be taken care of? And I have a form that allow users to upload the Excel file, do I check whether the file has been finished uploaded, and then run the parser to parse all the data out into a text file, from that file insert into SQLCE? Please pardon me for my dumb questions, as I have no prior experience dealing with SQLCE in this way, I only did simple storing and retrieving of data on SQLCE.

Thanks.

Regards,

Jenson

Monday, July 2, 2007 1:23 AM
  • anyone could help me with this?
    Tuesday, July 3, 2007 8:57 AM
  • Jenson, you have to explain a bit more about your requirements for us to help you. Do you want to import Excel Mobile files that reside on the mobile device via an app on the mobile device or ??
    Tuesday, July 3, 2007 4:00 PM
  • Hi ErikEJ,

I have found out that I can't do that =p

So I give up on that and have a workaround, now I have problem exporting data from SDF to Excel file. I will make a new thread for this, hope you and the rest would be able to help me out, very urgent.

Thanks.

Regards,

Jenson

Wednesday, July 4, 2007 9:21 AM
  • Import you XLS (or any) file to MS SQL 2005 Standart

use right click on you DB in MS SQL Server Management Studio then Tasks - Import Data

Use Replication

(read)

SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition Books Online
    Creating a Mobile Application with SQL Server Compact Edition

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms171908.aspx

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 10:21 AM
  • Don't Worry About It, download and install SDF viewer, ( www.softpedia.es/descargar-SDF-Viewer-146403.html) go to tools menu, select import from XLS and you will get it.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 4:31 PM