none
Porting WinCE 6.0 NDIS Driver to Windows Embedded Compact 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

We have a working WinCE 6.0 NDIS Driver, which is based on NDIS 5.1. We would like to port the same driver to Windows Embedded Compact 7, which uses NDIS 6.0. We have two options.

A. Port WinCE 6.0 NDIS Driver to Windows Embedded Compact 7, by porting NDIS 5.1 to NDIS 6.x

B. Take Windows 7 based NDIS Driver (NDIS 6.x) as base and migrate to Windows Embedded Compact 7.

Questions:

1. Which option (A or B) is easier, in terms of time and effort.

2. There is an article, explaining the porting changes needed to migrate a NDIS driver from WinXP to WinCE 6.0 in below link.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/ee484803(v=winembedded.60).aspx

I didn't find any such similar link, which describes changes needed to migrate a NDIS driver from Windows 7 to Windows Embedded Compact 7. Is there any such information?

3. Is there really any difference between a Windows 7 NDIS driver and Windows Embedded Compact 7 NDIS Driver ?

Thanks in advance

Deepu

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 1:20 PM

Answers

• Hi All,

I found that porting from Win7 NDIS driver to WinCE 7 as easier, as it didn't require NDIS porting, which is needed for WinCE 6.0 to WinCE 7.

Thanks all for your support.

Thanks

Deepu

• Marked as answer by Deepu27 Thursday, May 2, 2013 11:44 AM
    Thursday, May 2, 2013 11:44 AM

All replies

• Hi 

In my opinion, porting from Ce6.0 to Ce7.0 would be easier than porting from Windows 7.You have to check the NDIS API changes with respect to 5.1 and 6.

But before jumping to conclusion, what sort of driver it is? Upper edge and lower edge are both NDIS? Or is it a miniport driver?

thanks

Ajith

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 2:18 PM
  • Hi Ajith,

Thanks for reply.

Sorry for not mentioning the type of Driver. Yes, it is a Miniport-driver, compliant to Native-WiFi Driver.

Do you know, if there are any differences between  Windows 7 NDIS Miniport driver and Windows Embedded Compact 7 NDIS Miniport Driver ?

I didn't find any information on migrating NDIS Miniport Driver to Windows Emb Compact 7 anywhere

Thanks

Deepu

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 2:33 PM
  • Hi deepu,

Whats the underlying bus where the adapter is connected to? If the Win7 miniport driver uses any IRP- URB mechanism inside the driver, you cannot easily port the driver from Win7 to CE. Win7 driver  CE has its own functions to talk to the underlying bus. Win7 uses WDF model where as Ce uses its own native interface for developing driver.

ajith

Thursday, March 14, 2013 3:37 AM
  • Hi Ajith

The underlying bus-interface is PCI. Are there any differences related to PCI bus subsytem between Windows 7 and WinCE 7?

Thanks

Deepu

Thursday, March 14, 2013 4:25 AM
  • Hi All,

I found that porting from Win7 NDIS driver to WinCE 7 as easier, as it didn't require NDIS porting, which is needed for WinCE 6.0 to WinCE 7.

Thanks all for your support.

Thanks

Deepu

• Marked as answer by Deepu27 Thursday, May 2, 2013 11:44 AM
    Thursday, May 2, 2013 11:44 AM