Bug in July CTP? RRS feed

• Question

•   I've followed Acropolis since CTP 1. Thanks for you hard work to provide such an excellent framework. Now I met a problem in the July CTP:

I just created an Acropolis application(WPF Application), didn't change anything. The I went to add a new "Part and View" named as RootPart, I didn't change anyting too. But the compliation error occured:

"Error 1 'RootPart': member names cannot be the same as their enclosing type D:\VistaProject\Acropolis\UpdateAndNotification\obj\Debug\RootPart.g.cs 25 49 UpdateAndNotification
    "

which the error code is :internal UpdateAndNotification.RootPart RootPart;

But the strange thing is when I selected build again. The compliation was succeeded. I've tried several times, It always happen.

Any comments?

Moreover, I had Acropolis CTP 1 couple of weeks before. I unintalled it successfully before I intalled July CTP. And my OS is Vista Business.

Thanks.

Sunday, July 8, 2007 6:52 AM

Answers

• Hi Woody_Wu,

Thanks for your feedback! Unfortunately I cannot reproduce your first issue. So, are you getting this compilation error even before you add any properties/methods to your part, am I correct?

As for the issue with CTP1 templates, you can change them to July CTP templates by opening the .csproj file in a text/xml editor and changing

<Project ToolsVersion="2.0"...

to

<Project ToolsVersion="3.5"...

Then the template should open fine.

Thanks!

Sunday, July 8, 2007 2:39 PM

All replies

•   Another problem is I created a few Acropolis projects before under CTP1. But when I installed July CTP and wanted to open the old solution, VS had the following error: "A project with that name is already opened in the solution". But I didn't open any other solutions...

So now I have to recreate all these projects...@_@..

Sunday, July 8, 2007 7:48 AM
  • Hi Woody_Wu,

Thanks for your feedback! Unfortunately I cannot reproduce your first issue. So, are you getting this compilation error even before you add any properties/methods to your part, am I correct?

As for the issue with CTP1 templates, you can change them to July CTP templates by opening the .csproj file in a text/xml editor and changing

<Project ToolsVersion="2.0"...

to

Then the template should open fine.

Thanks!

Sunday, July 8, 2007 2:39 PM
  • Hi Alex,

For the first issue : yes, I didn't add any properties/methods. to my part.
        For the second issue: thanks for your comments.

Sunday, July 8, 2007 2:46 PM
  • Hi Woody_Wu,

I also have the same problem:

Orcas June 2007  has the following error: "A project with that name is already opened in the solution"

when I try to open some of the Acropolis samples (Notepad, Outlook...) !

But I didn't open any other solutions...

In the project file I see:

But I still get the error above !

Please can you help me ?

Best regards

Netdidi

Monday, July 9, 2007 9:18 PM
  • Hi Woody_Wu,

From your reply I assume the second issue is resolved. As for the first one, would you mind attaching minimum project required to repro the problem and sending to the email listed in my profile?

This would help us to investigate the bug.

Thank you!

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 5:40 AM
  •  netdidi wrote:

Orcas June 2007  has the following error: "A project with that name is already opened in the solution"

Please can you help me ?

Hi netdidi,

Thanks for reporting this issue,

Are you getting this error when you're opening the samples from CTP1 or the new samples from July CTP?

You mentioned that you have Orcas June 2007 installed. Would you be able to verify if you're getting the same error without Orcas June 2007 CTP installed on top of Orcas Beta 1?

Thanks!

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 5:54 AM
  • Hi Alex,

>>Are you getting this error when you're opening the samples

>>from CTP1 or the new samples from July CTP?

I'm using the new samples from July Acropolis CTP:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=44977885-86B5-4AA0-9F20-DB365BFB9D10&displaylang=en

>>Would you be able to verify if you're getting the same error

>>without Orcas June 2007 CTP installed on top of Orcas Beta 1

I thought the Orcas June 2007 CTP is the Orcas Beta 1  !!??

Now I realized that Orcas June 2007 CTP is newer than

Orcas Beta 1 - thank you :-)

I didn't install the Orcas June 2007 CTP on top of Orcas Beta 1

- I simply downloaded the Orcas June 2007 CTP as VirtualPC

Image !!!

Regards,

Artur

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 7:41 AM
  •  Alex Bulankou wrote:
     netdidi wrote:

Please can you help me ?

Hi netdidi,

Thanks for reporting this issue,

Are you getting this error when you're opening the samples from CTP1 or the new samples from July CTP?

You mentioned that you have Orcas June 2007 installed. Would you be able to verify if you're getting the same error without Orcas June 2007 CTP installed on top of Orcas Beta 1?

Thanks!

Hi Netdidi:

I just had the modification mentioned --changed the ToolsVersion from 2.0 to 3.5. Then I could open the solution successfully. I think your Orcas June 2007CTP cause this problem. I have Orcas beta 1 and Acropolis July CTP.

Hi Alex:

I already sent my test project to you. But I'm not sure whether could it give you any useful information. Because I didn't change anything...I just added Root part. And I could compile it successfully the second time.

If you have any thought, please kindly tell me. Thank you.

Woody wu

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 12:49 PM
  •  Woody_Wu wrote:

Hi Alex:

I already sent my test project to you. But I'm not sure whether could it give you any useful information. Because I didn't change anything...I just added Root part. And I could compile it successfully the second time.

If you have any thought, please kindly tell me. Thank you.

Woody wu

Unfortunately your project builds fine without any errors/warnings :-(

After you build the first time and get this error could you switch to Output window ->Show output from build -> and then copy the output. It should have the detailed information about the error. You sent it already in your earlier email (D:\VistaProject\Acropolis\UpdateAndNotification\obj\Debug\RootPart.g.cs 25 49 UpdateAndNotification), however it seems to be for the different project than the one you emailed me. Also, would you mind clicking on the error and copying the generated code from RootPart.g.cs that the error is pointing to.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 3:38 PM
  •  netdidi wrote:

I thought the Orcas June 2007 CTP is the Orcas Beta 1  !!??

Now I realized that Orcas June 2007 CTP is newer than

Orcas Beta 1 - thank you :-)

I didn't install the Orcas June 2007 CTP on top of Orcas Beta 1

- I simply downloaded the Orcas June 2007 CTP as VirtualPC

Image !!!

Hi Artur,

Yeah, as Dennis mentioned already, it is recommended that you install Orcas Beta 1 as this is the Acropolis July CTP requirement.

Thanks!

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 3:47 PM
  • Hi Alex:

Yes, the project I sent to you is different from the one I mentioned in this post before. I just wanted to confirm I didn't change anything in the new project.

And the error information in the Output window is as following:
    "------ Build started: Project: TestBuild, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
    D:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5.20404\Csc.exe /noconfig /nowarn:1701,1702 /warn:4 /defineBig SmileEBUG;TRACE /reference:"D:\Program Files\Microsoft Acropolis\Microsoft.Acropolis.CommonFx.dll" /reference:"D:\Program Files\Microsoft Acropolis\Microsoft.Acropolis.ComponentModel.dll" /reference:"D:\Program Files\Microsoft Acropolis\Microsoft.Acropolis.PartFx.dll" /reference:"D:\Program Files\Microsoft Acropolis\Microsoft.Acropolis.Windows.dll" /reference:"D:\Program Files\Microsoft Acropolis\Microsoft.Acropolis.Windows.Themes.dll" /reference:"D:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.0\PresentationCore.dll" /reference:"D:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.0\PresentationFramework.dll" /reference:"D:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.0\ReachFramework.dll" /referenceBig Smile:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Data.dll /referenceBig Smile:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.dll /reference:"D:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.0\System.IdentityModel.dll" /reference:"D:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.0\System.Printing.dll" /reference:"D:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.0\System.Runtime.Serialization.dll" /reference:"D:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.0\System.ServiceModel.dll" /referenceBig Smile:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Xml.dll /reference:"D:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.0\UIAutomationProvider.dll" /reference:"D:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.0\UIAutomationTypes.dll" /reference:"D:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.0\WindowsBase.dll" /debug+ /debug:full /optimize- /outSurprisebj\Debug\TestBuild.exe /target:winexe Application.xaml.cs Window1.xaml.cs Properties\AssemblyInfo.cs Properties\Resources.Designer.cs Properties\Settings.Designer.cs RootPart.xaml.cs RootPartView.xaml.cs D:\VistaProject\Acropolis\TestBuild\obj\Debug\RootPart.g.cs D:\VistaProject\Acropolis\TestBuild\obj\Debug\RootPartView.g.cs D:\VistaProject\Acropolis\TestBuild\obj\Debug\Window1.g.cs obj\Debug\TestBuild.Application.g2.cs obj\Debug\TestBuild.Application.g.cs
    obj\Debug\RootPart.g.cs(25,37): error CS0542: 'RootPart': member names cannot be the same as their enclosing type
    RootPartView.xaml.cs(23,17): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'IRootPartViewContract' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    Done building project "rch20dpb.tmp_proj" -- FAILED.
    D:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5.20404\Csc.exe /noconfig /nowarn:1701,1702 /warn:4 /defineBig SmileEBUG;TRACE /reference:"D:\Program Files\Microsoft Acropolis\Microsoft.Acropolis.CommonFx.dll" /reference:"D:\Program Files\Microsoft Acropolis\Microsoft.Acropolis.ComponentModel.dll" /reference:"D:\Program Files\Microsoft Acropolis\Microsoft.Acropolis.PartFx.dll" /reference:"D:\Program Files\Microsoft Acropolis\Microsoft.Acropolis.Windows.dll" /reference:"D:\Program Files\Microsoft Acropolis\Microsoft.Acropolis.Windows.Themes.dll" /reference:"D:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.0\PresentationCore.dll" /reference:"D:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.0\PresentationFramework.dll" /reference:"D:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.0\ReachFramework.dll" /referenceBig Smile:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Data.dll /referenceBig Smile:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.dll /reference:"D:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.0\System.IdentityModel.dll" /reference:"D:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.0\System.Printing.dll" /reference:"D:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.0\System.Runtime.Serialization.dll" /reference:"D:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.0\System.ServiceModel.dll" /referenceBig Smile:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Xml.dll /reference:"D:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.0\UIAutomationProvider.dll" /reference:"D:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.0\UIAutomationTypes.dll" /reference:"D:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.0\WindowsBase.dll" /debug+ /debug:full /optimize- /outSurprisebj\Debug\TestBuild.exe /resourceSurprisebj\Debug\TestBuild.g.resources /resourceSurprisebj\Debug\TestBuild.Properties.Resources.resources /resourceSurprisebj\Debug\TestBuild.Application.compmeta,TestBuild.obj.Debug.TestBuild.Application.compmeta /resourceSurprisebj\Debug\ResourceTableHeader.compmeta,TestBuild.obj.Debug.ResourceTableHeader.compmeta /target:winexe Application.xaml.cs Window1.xaml.cs Properties\AssemblyInfo.cs Properties\Resources.Designer.cs Properties\Settings.Designer.cs RootPart.xaml.cs RootPartView.xaml.cs D:\VistaProject\Acropolis\TestBuild\obj\Debug\RootPart.g.cs D:\VistaProject\Acropolis\TestBuild\obj\Debug\RootPartView.g.cs D:\VistaProject\Acropolis\TestBuild\obj\Debug\Window1.g.cs obj\Debug\TestBuild.Application.g2.cs obj\Debug\TestBuild.Application.g.cs
    D:\VistaProject\Acropolis\TestBuild\obj\Debug\RootPart.g.cs(25,37): error CS0542: 'RootPart': member names cannot be the same as their enclosing type
    D:\VistaProject\Acropolis\TestBuild\obj\Debug\RootPart.g.cs(23,26): (Related location)
    D:\VistaProject\Acropolis\TestBuild\RootPart.xaml.cs(11,26): (Related location)
    D:\VistaProject\Acropolis\TestBuild\RootPartView.xaml.cs(23,17): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'IRootPartViewContract' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Compile complete -- 2 errors, 0 warnings
    ========== Build: 0 succeeded or up-to-date, 1 failed, 0 skipped =========="

I hope this will help you.

Thank you.

Woody

Thursday, July 12, 2007 1:42 PM
  • Hi Woody,

Actually I can only repro your bug if I set the Build Action for RootPart.xaml to "Page" instead of "Acropolis Component". (see screenshot: http://www.bulankou.com/files/buildAction.jpg)

Then I get this generated:

/// <summary>

/// RootPart

/// </summary>

public partial class RootPart : Microsoft.Acropolis.PartFx.Part, System.Windows.Markup.IComponentConnector {

internal TestBuild.RootPart RootPart;

....}

and this is causing error CS0542. When I change the build action back to "Acropolis Component" and rebuild the correct code is generated.

Can you check, when you first create the project and add a part, what is the build action for this part - is it "Page" or "Acropolis component"?

Thanks!

Thursday, July 12, 2007 4:24 PM
  • I'm having the same problem on a fresh install of the Orcas beta and the July Acropolis CTP. Is there a workaround?

Thanks

Friday, July 13, 2007 7:34 PM
  • Now I'm not so sure ....

Here's what I downloaded and installed:

OrcasBeta1_VSTS_SelfExtractedDVD_9partsTotal.part01.exe

thru

OrcasBeta1_VSTS_SelfExtractedDVD_9partsTotal.part09.rar

Says Beta 1, right? I don't see CTP anywhere in the names. but I open up Help, About and it declares itself to be "March 2007 CTP". So what do I really have?

Friday, July 13, 2007 7:40 PM
  • Hi Alex:

I did several tests, It seems that the Build Action casue this problem. I created an Acropolis project, and just added some parts, then I went to build the project. The build is faild, then I selected the Properties panel, the Build Action is "Page". But I didn't change anything.

Moreover, If I opend the Properties panel and kept adding parts, this error seemed never gonna happen. If I closed the Properties panel, added several parts, the compilation error occured. In the previous post, I told you I could build the project successfully in the second time. But If the compilation error happend, I selected Properties panel(yes, the Build Action is "Page"). After this, I can not build project successfully anyway. The only choice is change the Build Action from "Page" to "Acropolis Component".

Alex, would you please check it? I hope these information could help you .

Thanks.

Woody

Saturday, July 14, 2007 3:23 AM
  • Hi Woody,

I'm still investigating your issue. Just to confirm, if you set the build action manually to "Acropolis Component" then it builds fine, so temporarily you can use this work-around, is this correct?

Thanks!

Monday, July 16, 2007 5:21 PM
  • Hi Ignak,

Thanks for your feedback! Can you please confirm which version do you see in the mid-left of your About dialog? Beta1 is 9.0.20404 Beta1. March CTP and Beta1 are different releases, however it seems like Beta1 About dialog still says "March CTP" on top, so you need to check the version to make sure.

Thanks!

Monday, July 16, 2007 5:26 PM
  • Hi Alex:

Yes, The builds is perfect if I set the Build Action to "Acropolis Component". I hope I make all these things clear to you. I'll keep playing with July CTP, and waiting for your investigation.

Thanks a lot.

Woody

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 2:40 AM
  • Hi Woody,

when you're adding the items through Add-> New Item -> Part+View the following assembly is controlling that the Build Action is set to "Acropolis Component": Microsoft.Acropolis.NewProjectWizard.dll. Could you please check if this assembly is installed correctly (to do a basic check you can just compare Modified data and size of NewProjectWizard.dll from C:\Program Files\Microsoft Acropolis\ to the one from c:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.Acropolis.NewProjectWizard\2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\ (you can use cmd to access the assembly from the GAC location and xcopy it somewhere to compare to the assembly from the installation dir)).

If you remove the existing Part from your project and and then add it again the Build Action will indeed change to "Page" since this is the default for XAML files. Then you need to change the Build Action manually. But as I said when you go through the wizard to add it this shouldn't be the case.

Thanks,

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 6:01 PM
  • Hi,

I had the same problem as Woody. In my project RootPart.xaml had Build Action "Acropolis Component". I changed it to "Page" and then I got 8 build errors, but not the one mentioned above. When I changed it back to "Acropolis Component" everything went well. The project built without any errors and I could run it in the debugger.

Monday, August 20, 2007 11:24 AM