none
Expressions and Frontpage RRS feed

• Question

•  Have been using Frontpage for years. My Hosting have now stopped supporting Frontpage so my images no longer work . I have been told that is I get Expression web I will be able to transfer my current FP website over to it. Is this right? As you will see from my question, I am useless at anything technical and hate change.  I need the simplest process as I am old and grey!   I think my website is probably a right mess but have somehow managed to get to top of Google so don't want to jeopodise anything . I have been trying to get help from various sources for days without success so am relying on you lovelies please. 
    Friday, June 29, 2012 11:33 AM

All replies

• Before you make a decision on moving to Expression Web you will need to read the MS post:

Are you new to Microsoft Expression Web?
    This article (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-US;2511858) outlines the prerequisites for using Expression Web effectively, along with a list of useful resources you can use to get up to speed on modern Web design. The bottom line is that you do need to have some knowledge of Web design before you’ll be comfortable or effective using Microsoft Expression Web.

The very first post in this forum will give you lots of information on Learning Resources for EW. There are lots of us folks out here who are old (me included) some gray and some not.

It is not that hosting companies are not supporting FP, they are not supporting the FrontPage Server Extensions which the FP bots (shared borders, navigation and others) require.

Since you did not include a link to your website, it is hard for us to help you with the images. This was written for Expression Web but may help you in trouble shooting image problems http://www.expression-web-tutorials.com/trouble-shooting-images.html

pat

Pat Geary - Microsoft MVP

Expression  Web Tutorials & Templates | Expression Web Blog | Migrating from FrontPage to Expression
     - Free EW Community Toolbar - Free Site Templates

Friday, June 29, 2012 12:15 PM
  • You don't transfer it to Expression Web. You'll use Expression Web to make it standards compliant so that it works.

Read the Forum FAQ and Guidelines - Start Here thread at the top of this forum. There are links in there to explain what you need to do and need to know when moving from FP to EW, and links to a tutorial on how to make the changes. Take the tutorials listed in there too.

The first thing to know is that if you use FP's shared borders for navigation, DO NOT open your site in EW4; it will destroy them. You have to remove them first in FP.

Finally, as to the "old and grey" wheeze...Drop it. You'll get no pity here; many of the most active participants in this forum are probably older than you. Seriously. Hike up your pants and prepared to do a little learning. It ain't rocket science.

A call to action:
    What do we want?!
    Time travel!
    When do we want it?!
    That's irrelevant!

Friday, June 29, 2012 12:16 PM
  • Welcome to the forum.

Now, don't panic, but take what the others have said seriously. :)

You can't fix your site if you stay in the mindset of:

"I am useless at anything technical and hate change.  I need the simplest process as I am old and grey!"

You *will* have to learn HTML and CSS, and, and learn how to replace anything in your site that depended on FrontPage Server Extensions.  EW is not a new version of FP, and it won't automatically replace/fix things that have broken because your host no longer supports FPSEs.  (Side note: FPSEs are old, no longer supported, and it's been several years since MS said: Fair warning, they are going, going, gone.  Hosts have been dropping them for years.)

HTML and CSS aren't difficult, but it will be a learning curve if you've been using FP as if it were a drag-and-drop "Word for the Web" program.  (Don't try to use EW that way.  You won't get good results.)

How big is your site? Post a link. If it's only a few pages, it might actually be faster for you to create a brand new local site in EW and start from scratch, rather than fix the old one.

As for being "old and grey"... several of us probably have you beat on that score.  Doesn't count for anything, here.  :)

• Edited by KathyW2 Friday, June 29, 2012 2:30 PM
    Friday, June 29, 2012 2:29 PM
  • Is your site http://www.miniaturemohairbears.co.uk/index.htm ? (I just looked at your profile.)  If so, we can give advice on the transition to EW.

The first question would be: Do you have a local copy of the site on your PC?

• Edited by KathyW2 Friday, June 29, 2012 7:41 PM
    Friday, June 29, 2012 7:40 PM