SignTool Error RRS feed

• Question

• I have an application that I run to transfer .txt files. My company recently purchased new machines and all of the files from the previous machine were transferred to the new one. Could this cause a SignTool error? If so, how do I correct the problem. 

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 4:49 PM

Answers

• I am new at programming and I am not an expert when it comes to certificates and signing, but I have ran into this same issue and know a solution. This is assuming that you are trying to publish an application with clickonce.

Go to the properties of your project and select the signing tab.  In that tab you should be able to create a test certificate that is valid for about a year. After that you should be able to publish your application again.

I believe that the certificates that are created are tied to the computer name that they were created on. So if your new computer has a different name it thinks you a different person and you cannot publish the application again under the old certificate.  Again, I am new and not sure my understanding is correct, so maybe someone else can give more detail.

There are other things that could cause a SignTool error as well, but from your description I think this is it. However, if the above doesn't work, post the error, it would help to resolve the issue.

Hope it helps,

Runrin

Thursday, April 3, 2008 3:49 AM

All replies

• I am new at programming and I am not an expert when it comes to certificates and signing, but I have ran into this same issue and know a solution. This is assuming that you are trying to publish an application with clickonce.

Go to the properties of your project and select the signing tab.  In that tab you should be able to create a test certificate that is valid for about a year. After that you should be able to publish your application again.

I believe that the certificates that are created are tied to the computer name that they were created on. So if your new computer has a different name it thinks you a different person and you cannot publish the application again under the old certificate.  Again, I am new and not sure my understanding is correct, so maybe someone else can give more detail.

There are other things that could cause a SignTool error as well, but from your description I think this is it. However, if the above doesn't work, post the error, it would help to resolve the issue.

Hope it helps,

Runrin

Thursday, April 3, 2008 3:49 AM
  • Thanks that solved my problem.
    Friday, March 7, 2014 9:48 PM