none
Where Should The Front End Access DB Be Run From For Access 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone.

I've reviewed several internet articles which say for a split MS Access database the back end part should be on a file server and the front end should be distributed to users.  I am working on a project which involves an MS Access 2007 database.  Can someone point me to an article from Microsoft that provides the recommended approach on how the front end database part should be made available.  I believe for best performance and reduced risk of corruption the front end database should be run from a user's local desktop while the linked tables the local desktop database accesses are in one or more Access database files on the server.

This is somewhat a debate as I have heard others say both the front end and back end should be on the server. This is somewhat a confusing topic which I'd like some clarity on.  Thanks in advance.

Friday, July 15, 2016 5:25 PM

Answers

• best performance and reduced risk of corruption the front end database should be run from a user's local desktop while the linked tables the local desktop database accesses are in one or more Access database files on the server

The practical problem of this can be the mechanical aspect of getting the FE file to each user's desktop.  Depending on the architecture of the Microsoft domain management (or lack thereof) it can be mean walking from office to office - and having to go onto people's PCs to do the install.  One must set up the trust folders as well.  It can be a burden if the FE gets updated a lot with new features.  But this is what must be done.

If your users are reasonably PC fluent - for updates - one can post the FE file in a common location and tell everybody to download it and over write their prior version.  The link to the BE file resides in the FE.  So assuming correct & consistent drive mapping you link your master FE - and then every copy will link okay and they don't need to figure that out.

Saturday, July 16, 2016 3:13 PM
  • This is somewhat a debate as I have heard others say both the front end and back end should be on the server.
    Either will work provided each user opens their own copy of the front end.  A single front end on a server should not be shared by multiple users; that's asking for trouble.  In my organisation the strategy adopted was for each employee to have their own personal folder on the server, to which only they and the system administrators had permissions. A copy of the front end was installed in each user's personal folder.  The back end was in a shared location of course, to which all users had full read/write permissions.

Rolling out updated versions of the front end to the users' personal folders was a relatively simple process.

PS:  An advantage of the strategy adopted in my organisation is of course that each employee can access their front end from any workstation.  In fact, this now essential in the organisation, with its current hot-desking regime.

Ken Sheridan, Stafford, England

Saturday, July 16, 2016 3:38 PM

All replies

• Hi. I don't have an official MS link to offer at the moment, but I would recommend this Wiki Article at UtterAccess as an alternative. If I find an official MS link, I'll be sure to post it.

Basically, you are correct. The BE file should be on a shared network folder, and each user should have their own copy of the FE file on their local machine. You can certainly put a copy of the FE file in the same network folder as the BE, but no user should use it from there. Instead, they can make a copy of it on their Desktop.

Friday, July 15, 2016 5:41 PM
  • Hi zonkerman,

please visit the link below to get some more information regarding that.

Split an Access database

Microsoft Access Split Database Architecture to Support Multiuser Environments, Improve Performance, and Simplify Maintainability

Disclaimer: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards

Deepak

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Saturday, July 16, 2016 8:45 AM
  • best performance and reduced risk of corruption the front end database should be run from a user's local desktop while the linked tables the local desktop database accesses are in one or more Access database files on the server

The practical problem of this can be the mechanical aspect of getting the FE file to each user's desktop.  Depending on the architecture of the Microsoft domain management (or lack thereof) it can be mean walking from office to office - and having to go onto people's PCs to do the install.  One must set up the trust folders as well.  It can be a burden if the FE gets updated a lot with new features.  But this is what must be done.

If your users are reasonably PC fluent - for updates - one can post the FE file in a common location and tell everybody to download it and over write their prior version.  The link to the BE file resides in the FE.  So assuming correct & consistent drive mapping you link your master FE - and then every copy will link okay and they don't need to figure that out.

Saturday, July 16, 2016 3:13 PM
  • This is somewhat a debate as I have heard others say both the front end and back end should be on the server.
    Either will work provided each user opens their own copy of the front end.  A single front end on a server should not be shared by multiple users; that's asking for trouble.  In my organisation the strategy adopted was for each employee to have their own personal folder on the server, to which only they and the system administrators had permissions. A copy of the front end was installed in each user's personal folder.  The back end was in a shared location of course, to which all users had full read/write permissions.

Rolling out updated versions of the front end to the users' personal folders was a relatively simple process.

PS:  An advantage of the strategy adopted in my organisation is of course that each employee can access their front end from any workstation.  In fact, this now essential in the organisation, with its current hot-desking regime.

Ken Sheridan, Stafford, England

Saturday, July 16, 2016 3:38 PM