Report freezes while having 7 parameters RRS feed

• Question

• User1630393281 posted

Hello,

I have a report with 6 parameters that works very well. When I add another parameters it freezes  in the SSRS  portal and doesn't display anything when I want to run the report .

I'm using IE 11.

How can I resolve this issue ?

This last parameter is mandatory.

I don't have a distant folder where I can put a screenshop for you to see this behaviour. I see that I cannot put it here directly

Can you give me an email address where I can send you the screenshot ?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.

Friday, February 28, 2020 1:08 PM

All replies

• User753101303 posted

Hi,

See https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/3348/sql-server-reporting-services-ssrs-log-files-for-troubleshooting/

Could it be that you have an error and then nothing more happens in the browser.

Friday, February 28, 2020 1:09 PM
  • User1630393281 posted

I don't have an error because the report is working in the visual studio but not in the SSRS PORTAL

Friday, February 28, 2020 1:12 PM
  • User753101303 posted

You have tons of reason for which it could work on the VS side and fail on the SSRS portal. Could you still take 3 minutes to check SSRS log files to make 100% sure there is not just an error message telling you what happens?

In my experience unless you see something really obvious right away it is always quicker to take few extra minutes to find an error message (and I don't remember a case where I really coudn't find one) rather than spending time in guessing and trying things unitl the unknown problem is fixed by chance.

Edit: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/report-server/reporting-services-log-files-and-sources?view=sql-server-ver15 summarize a number of log files some of which being usefull as well for other cases...

Edit 2 : the next option could be long running query because maybe of a badly written SQL statements (it can get unoticed in VS if you work with much less data).

Friday, February 28, 2020 2:16 PM
  • User1630393281 posted

I agree but the log files are not in my computer because the SQL server used by the SSRS PORTAL is installed in a distant machine. 

If I don't have any issue in MY visual studio then I will not find any error in my  machine log files but I cannot access the files of the distant machine.

Friday, February 28, 2020 2:46 PM
  • User475983607 posted

szejli

I agree but the log files are not in my computer because the SQL server used by the SSRS PORTAL is installed in a distant machine. 

If I don't have any issue in MY visual studio then I will not find any error in my  machine log files but I cannot access the files of the distant machine.

Someone must have access to the remote machine.  Reach out and ask for assistance.

Also, is your dev machine accessing the same DB and the remote machine?  Perhaps the remote machine has a different schema than then your dev machine.  Or maybe the data is different?  Can you explain your troubleshooting steps up to this point?

Friday, February 28, 2020 4:13 PM