ASP.NET MVC with Silverlight Controls vs Webforms Pros & Cons RRS feed

• Question

• User956626884 posted

Hi,

I am working on a web application project, which will require a UI presentation, middle (WCF & LINQ), and data source (SQL Server).

I am pretty confident with WCF services calling LINQ, which connect and performs transactions with SQL Server. I am not a Web UI guru and I am asking for the pro's and con's of utilizing ASP.NET MVC as the UI presentation framework. I prefer this approach becausing of the separation of code and its flexibility to host both webforms and silverlight. I would love to get started on silverlight app development and asking the adv and disadv of going with ASP.NET MVC using Silverlight controls over just ASP.NET MVC uisng Webforms. When and why would I add Silverlight Apps over regular Webforms. I am familiar with the XAML and that Silveright is a client in the browser, which does not require round trips back/forth to the server. I am assuming the best approach is using mix of SL and webforms, correct? What are the best conditions to use SL over webforms.

Thanks and appreciate any of your expertise.

Monday, June 14, 2010 1:59 PM

Answers

• User197322208 posted

If you are a WindowsForms/WPF guy , then go to Silverlight

If you are a Javascript / HTML knowledgeable go to MVC or WebForms

IF you want accessing the resources on client( such as a WebCamera) then Silverlight is a must

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, June 14, 2010 11:49 PM