none
Non Repeating Random Numbers from 1 to 30 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi to everyone, i need a code to generate a non repeating random numbers form 1 to 30

Tanks in Advance

With Regards

Jaya prakash J

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 10:36 AM

Answers

• That's called a random "permutation".

The cleanest way to do this is to have an array of the numbers from 1 to 30.  Randomly take one of the N elements and move it to the end of the list, swap the one that was at the end into the place of the one you selected, then repeat considering only the first N-1 elements. Each time you are putting a random element at the end of the list.  If you do this N times, you will have ordered them randomly.

Here's an example:  https://gist.github.com/uchida/1408990

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 10:57 AM

All replies

• Just have a look at this:

http://www.dotnetperls.com/fisher-yates-shuffle

Chris

Code Samples: Code Samples
    Chrigas Blog: Chrigas Blog

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 10:49 AM
  • That's called a random "permutation".

The cleanest way to do this is to have an array of the numbers from 1 to 30.  Randomly take one of the N elements and move it to the end of the list, swap the one that was at the end into the place of the one you selected, then repeat considering only the first N-1 elements. Each time you are putting a random element at the end of the list.  If you do this N times, you will have ordered them randomly.

Here's an example:  https://gist.github.com/uchida/1408990

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 10:57 AM
  •             Enumerable.Range(1, 30).ToList().
                    Select(r => new { id = r, guid = (Guid.NewGuid()) }).
                    OrderBy(g => g.guid).ToList().ForEach(
                    n =>
                    {
                        Console.WriteLine(n.id);
                    });
    If number is not rather large, consider use the random feature of Guid to reach this.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2015 1:30 PM
  •             Enumerable.Range(1, 30).ToList().
                    Select(r => new { id = r, guid = (Guid.NewGuid()) }).
                    OrderBy(g => g.guid).ToList().ForEach(
                    n =>
                    {
                        Console.WriteLine(n.id);
                    });
    If number is not rather large, consider use the random feature of Guid to reach this.

I've considered it, and although this produces a correct answer (because guids statistically never return duplicates), the performance of generating a guid is terrible compared to just picking random numbers.  Also the sort of OrderBy is O(n log n) so it's vastly algorithmically inferior too.  It just happens to be "cute" because it uses a relatively low amount of source code.  But so does F(1,30), after you go implement F.  So this is pointless in my opinion.

You're better off just using "order by random number" for performance, because the collisions of duplicate random numbers and stability of the sort skewing your distribution likely don't matter in most applications either.

I'd downvote this technique if I could, for the reasons I just mentioned.

The technique I suggested is called the Fisher-Yates shuffle. Go find other implementations if you don't like the one I linked.  It is algorithmically superior and more correct (statistically speaking).  Guids don't have to be uniformly distributed or unpredictable.

See this discussion on the matter.

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 7:44 PM