none
Suddenly getting SIGNTASK and MSB3030: can't copy .inf .sys files for KMDOD RRS feed

• Question

• I've been working on modifying the sample KMDOD driver and was able to properly deploy it from one win8.1 computer to a target win8.1 x64 computer via usb 3.0 using VS2013 and WDK 8.1 Update.  However, two weeks passed as I got busy with other things, and now I've opened the project again but building always results in errors!  Below that is the full list of output/errors.  

I'm also getting 94 warnings all complaining about the WindowsDriver.common.targets file. The package has been configured for Win8.1 Debug and x64, Build and Deploy boxes checked off.  Driver Signing has Sign Mode: Test Sign, Inf2Cat is set to Yes to run, the connection to my target computer has been properly configured and attached.  I even downloaded a fresh copy of the KMDOD sample driver and it has the exact same errors.

Any help is much appreciated. This is my first time working with drivers and I'm surprised it all suddenly changed and stopped working.....

OUTPUT:

1>------ Build started: Project: SampleDisplay, Configuration: Win8.1 Debug x64 ------
    1>  Stamping x64\Win8.1Debug\sampledisplay.inf [Version] section with DriverVer=02/23/2015,9.43.38.266
    1>  BDD.cxx
    1>  BDD_DDI.cxx
    1>  BDD_DMM.cxx
    1>  BDD_Util.cxx
    1>  BltFuncs.cxx
    1>  BltHw.cxx
    1>  memory.cxx
    1>  Generating Code...
    1>  SampleDisplay.vcxproj -> C:\Users\Reika\Documents\KMDOD1\Kernel mode display-only miniport  driver (KMDOD) sample (1)\C++\Sample\x64\Win8.1Debug\SampleDisplay.sys
    1>SIGNTASK : SignTool error : No certificates were found that met all the given criteria.
    2>------ Build started: Project: package (Package\package), Configuration: Win8.1 Debug x64 ------
    2>C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\build\WindowsDriver.common.targets(1366,5): error MSB3030: Could not copy the file "C:\Users\Reika\Documents\KMDOD1\Kernel mode display-only miniport  driver (KMDOD) sample (1)\C++\Sample\x64\Win8.1Debug\SampleDisplay.sys" because it was not found.
    2>C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\build\WindowsDriver.common.targets(1366,5): error MSB3030: Could not copy the file "C:\Users\Reika\Documents\KMDOD1\Kernel mode display-only miniport  driver (KMDOD) sample (1)\C++\Sample\x64\Win8.1Debug\sampledisplay.inf" because it was not found.
    ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 2 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
    Monday, February 23, 2015 6:00 PM

Answers

• Figured it out! The errors were extremely misleading and undescriptive....the only thing I did wrong was not run VS2013 as an admin. Welp, glad it was an easy fix though.
    Thursday, February 26, 2015 7:14 AM

All replies

• Figured it out! The errors were extremely misleading and undescriptive....the only thing I did wrong was not run VS2013 as an admin. Welp, glad it was an easy fix though.
    Thursday, February 26, 2015 7:14 AM
  • Same problem exists in Visual Studio Professional 2015 (14.0.25431.01 Update 3).

Pretty tricky. Turning up verbosity in stampinf, inf2cat, and signtool don't provide very useful clues.

I don't see this issue talked about much on the web.

I guess most people run Visual Studio elevated?

Thursday, April 13, 2017 7:06 PM