none
Word Document Project using a Word .xml file RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm trying to create a Word Document project with VSTO 2005. But instead of using a Word .doc file as the project's base document, I'd like to use a Word .xml file. But when I try to create the project, VSTO won't let me use a Word .xml file. It throws up a message box that says "File name extension is not valid. Supported file format is Word document (.doc)."

This file needs to be generated on the server, so it needs to be an XML file, not a .doc binary. Does anyone know how to get this to work?

Thanks in advance.

tom
    Wednesday, August 1, 2007 10:38 PM

Answers

• See if the information in this discussion has the answer you're looking for.

Thursday, August 2, 2007 9:39 AM
  • Hi Cindy,

Thanks for the link. I had assumed that just saving the .doc file as an xml file would not work because I was getting a fatal error whenever I would try to save changes to the xml version of the doc file. But now, having read the info at the link you provided, I realize that the problem is that I have the document protected (via code that runs during initialization of ThisDocument). Once I removed the protection, I did not get the fatal error.

Thanks again.

tom
    Friday, August 3, 2007 10:51 PM

All replies

• See if the information in this discussion has the answer you're looking for.

Thursday, August 2, 2007 9:39 AM
  • Hi Cindy,

Thanks for the link. I had assumed that just saving the .doc file as an xml file would not work because I was getting a fatal error whenever I would try to save changes to the xml version of the doc file. But now, having read the info at the link you provided, I realize that the problem is that I have the document protected (via code that runs during initialization of ThisDocument). Once I removed the protection, I did not get the fatal error.

Thanks again.

tom
    Friday, August 3, 2007 10:51 PM