none
Toggle button slow to update on slide selection in PowerPoint 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a PowerPoint add-in that marks slides by inserting a custom XML tag. Whenever the slide selection changes I check whether or not that XML tag exists and if it does I check a toggle button (and uncheck when the tag doesn't exist). When changing slide selection using the keyboard (up and down arrows) the toggle button updates instantaneously. When I click on slides to change the selection there is a noticable delay before the toggle button updates and when using the mouse wheel it can take upwards of 5 or more seconds.

This is the code I'm using to update the ribbon:

private void SlideSelectionChangedEventHandler(SlideRange slideRange)
    {
        // Check/Uncheck the button and invalidate it.
        this.toggleButton.Checked = this.IsCurrentSlideMarked();
        this.RibbonUI.InvalidateControl(this.toggleButton.Id);
    }

Existing Office toggle buttons don't suffer from this issue, only mouse interaction causes it and there is no problem in PowerPoint 2007. I've tried changing from a toggle button to something else (checkbox) and it still happens. Changing the ribbon to a WPF ribbon had no effect either. I know it's not my XML tag reading code. I put debug outputs around the code above and they all output long before the ribbon updates, which means execution has left InvalidateControl before the ribbon gets around to updating. This has been happening on multiple machines, so it's not an isolated incident either.

To my understanding there isn't another way to get the ribbon to refresh/update. I've found almost nothing like this elsewhere. I'm stumpted as to how I can resolve this problem. Your help is appreciated.

I'm using PowerPoint 2010 on Windows 7 Ultimate with Visual Studio 2010 Premium.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 12:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Elof,

Thanks for your information. Yes, I can repro the issue on my side with Office 2010. It seems to be a bug for me. Would you like to submit this issue in connect website:

http://connect.microsoft.com/

and post back a link for it here so that other members of this forum will know the lastest status of the issue.

Good day,

Best Regards, Calvin Gao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 7:44 AM