Differentiate source of SelectionChanged event of ComboBox

Question

• I have a XAML ComboBox element in the UI and have registered an event handler for its SelectionChanged event. In my app, the ComboBox selection is changed either by users' manipulation or programmatically. I want the event handler code to be executed only in the former case, how can I do this?
    Monday, November 19, 2012 2:15 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Would you please provide us the whole codes to reproduce this issue,

You can upload your project to skydriver
    http://skydrive.live.com/

It is not necessary that you send out the whole of your project. We just need a simplest sample to reproduce the problem. You can remove any confidential information or business details from it.

Best regards,
    Jesse

Jesse Jiang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, November 22, 2012 8:49 AM
  • Jesse, I think I can describe my issue with just a couple lines of code. In a XAML page, I define a ComboBox control

<ComboBox x:Name="DerivedElements" SelectionChanged="OnDerivedElementsSelectionChanged" Width="161" Margin="6,0,0,0" Height="35"/>

The event handler OnDerivedElementsSelectionChanged will do some work when users change the current selection. Everything is find so far.

The issue arises when I initialzed this ComboBox control in the NavigatedTo function

// Provide a default selection, or no items would be drawn in the ComboBox until users select one.
    DerivedElements->SelectedIndex = 0;

This assignment statement will make event handler OnDerivedElementsSelectionChanged to be called, which is undesirable.
    Thursday, November 22, 2012 4:23 PM
  • Hi,

I cannot reproduce your issue with these codes.

<ComboBox x:Name="ComboBox1" HorizontalAlignment="Left" Margin="318,154,0,0" VerticalAlignment="Top" Width="250" Height="102" SelectionChanged="ComboBox1_SelectionChanged_1">
                <x:String>Item1</x:String>
                <x:String>Item2</x:String>
                <x:String>Item3</x:String>
                <x:String>Item4</x:String>
            </ComboBox>
    void App1::MainPage::ComboBox1_SelectionChanged_1(Platform::Object^ sender, Windows::UI::Xaml::Controls::SelectionChangedEventArgs^ e)
    {
    	int a=5;
    }

Please upload a sample code to skydriver

Best regards,
    Jesse

Jesse Jiang [MSFT]

Friday, November 23, 2012 8:40 AM
  • You may add a statement like

ComboBox1->SelectedIndex = 0;
    and see your event handler ComboBox1_SelectionChanged_1 is called.
    Friday, November 23, 2012 2:55 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem in my app, whenever there is a handler attached to a property/event then while setting it from code, this handler is executed.
    Friday, November 23, 2012 7:22 PM
  • I have added this line in OnNavigatedTo function, but still cannot reproduce.

Please upload a sample code to skydriver.

Best regards,
    Jesse

Jesse Jiang [MSFT]

Monday, November 26, 2012 9:24 AM