none
Visual Studio

Question

• Hi,

My first day here and I have no experience in coding at all. I have just downloaded and installed Visual Studio 2015 (Free Version).

I would like to find out if I will be able to access it without internet connection or do I need to always be connected to use it?

Regards

JB

• Moved by CoolDadTxMVP Friday, April 01, 2016 2:41 PM VS related
    Friday, April 01, 2016 11:09 AM

Answers

• The free editions cache a iicense that must be renewed once in a while. Between renewals you'll be able to work completely offline.

My blog: blog.jessehouwing.nl

Friday, April 01, 2016 11:20 AM
  • You do not need Internet access to use VS after you've downloaded and installed. However without Internet access there are some features that won't work including:

• Viewing and downloading extensions
    • Getting notifications for updates to extensions and VS
    • Start Page content
    • Building projects using NuGet when the package is not downloaded
    • Source control on a non-local server won't work
    • License updates

Of all the issues NuGet is the biggest one because everything is NuGet based these days. For example if you try to build a .NET core app or try to build anything related to ASP.NET then it will try to download the dependencies from NuGet and fail. Hence you won't be able to build.

For licensing it depends upon whether you used a product key or an MSDN subscription. By default when you start VS the first time it'll ask for your MS account and tie that to your MSDN subscription.  Periodically VS will call home to verify the license. Prior to Update 2 this was weekly I believe.  If it failed then you'd get a stale license warning and at some point VS would not let you continue. The rules have changed slightly in Update 2 so refer to the release notes for more information.

If you use a product key instead (an option in the Account Settings dialog) then VS is tied to the key and doesn't need to verify the license. It will still periodically call home but it shouldn't prevent usage of VS.

Michael Taylor
    http://www.michaeltaylorp3.net

Friday, April 01, 2016 2:41 PM

All replies

• The free editions cache a iicense that must be renewed once in a while. Between renewals you'll be able to work completely offline.

My blog: blog.jessehouwing.nl

Friday, April 01, 2016 11:20 AM
  • You do not need Internet access to use VS after you've downloaded and installed. However without Internet access there are some features that won't work including:

• Viewing and downloading extensions
    • Getting notifications for updates to extensions and VS
    • Start Page content
    • Building projects using NuGet when the package is not downloaded
    • Source control on a non-local server won't work
    • License updates

Of all the issues NuGet is the biggest one because everything is NuGet based these days. For example if you try to build a .NET core app or try to build anything related to ASP.NET then it will try to download the dependencies from NuGet and fail. Hence you won't be able to build.

For licensing it depends upon whether you used a product key or an MSDN subscription. By default when you start VS the first time it'll ask for your MS account and tie that to your MSDN subscription.  Periodically VS will call home to verify the license. Prior to Update 2 this was weekly I believe.  If it failed then you'd get a stale license warning and at some point VS would not let you continue. The rules have changed slightly in Update 2 so refer to the release notes for more information.

If you use a product key instead (an option in the Account Settings dialog) then VS is tied to the key and doesn't need to verify the license. It will still periodically call home but it shouldn't prevent usage of VS.

Michael Taylor
    http://www.michaeltaylorp3.net

Friday, April 01, 2016 2:41 PM