none
Simple Question About Quick ınfo

Question

• hi,i would like to ask a question about VS 2015 Community Edition

I recently installed VS 2015 Community,before VS 2015 community,like VS 2010,2012 and 2013,when i hovered my cursor over any variable or class;VS was giving a brief description like (string : Represents text as a series of Unicode characters or Bitconverter :Converts base data types...) and it was really helpful to discover new things to solve new problems within the code.However in vs 2015 community whenever i hover my cursor over something it just gives info like this (string : class.system.String or Convert : class.system.Convert) it just gives info about where it derives from.Do i need to use other editions of 2015 to see small but helpful quick info ? or can i open quick info from somewhere inside VS ?

Friday, June 24, 2016 11:18 PM

Answers

• I completely uninstalled VS and downloaded the iso version.Instead of installing from internet,i installed it from iso,none of the freezing happened when i was installing so no random end task etc.Didnt have to repair it after the installation.I guess end tasks really hurt the first installation and repair couldnt  fix everything.Now everything works fine...

Thanks for responding 

Sunday, June 26, 2016 6:25 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I tested it with my VS2015 and I get some similar text as with previous VS versions.

The first text you mentioned do I get if I hover over the "string" type.

If I hover other the variable itself I get the description for the variable:<sub></sub><sup></sup><strike></strike>

Regards,

David

Saturday, June 25, 2016 5:38 PM
  • thank you for answering my question.I am doing exactly the same thing and result is the same...

no second line for info.It is weird right ? it just shows first line no second line for info

as for your second example for the variable name,result is same (field) string Class1.test no problem there

When i was installing the vs 2015 community,it stuck on multiple points like system restore,asp.net file etc. and i had to end those tasks to continue installation.After the installation,i repaired vs 2015,could it be the problem ? this is the first time something happening like this.I have wrote many other programs in 2010 2012 and 2013 never seen a glitch like this.In previous versions intelli sense completely dissappeared sometimes,but after restarting vs it worked normally.Now i am only getting the first line,not the info line same problem happening in drop down menu too... if i press "i" and go over int16 int32 int64 etc, just where they derive from appears no second info line...

i wanted to show pictures of it but mail systems says :

Body text cannot contain images or links until we are able to verify your account.

thanks for your help again...

Saturday, June 25, 2016 8:05 PM
  • Hi,

do you have some 3rdParty plugins like Resharper etc. installed.

Some of them change the behavior of the "Quick info" tooltips.

If not you could also try to reset all your settings to default:

Tools -> Import and Export Settings ... -> Reset all settings

Or using command line: devenv.exe /resetuserdata

Regards,

David

Saturday, June 25, 2016 9:09 PM
  • Could it be that there is something wrong with so called 'XML documentation comments' for the .NET Framework reference assemblies, which are xml files normally living in
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETFramework\<.Net Target Framework Version> .
    See
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/35010743/visual-studio-2015-missing-xml-comments-documentation
    FAIK 'String' should be in mscorlib.xml.

With kind regards

Saturday, June 25, 2016 10:51 PM
  • I completely uninstalled VS and downloaded the iso version.Instead of installing from internet,i installed it from iso,none of the freezing happened when i was installing so no random end task etc.Didnt have to repair it after the installation.I guess end tasks really hurt the first installation and repair couldnt  fix everything.Now everything works fine...

Thanks for responding 

Sunday, June 26, 2016 6:25 PM
  • Hi Cthrekgoru,

Thank you for sharing your solution ad result here.

You could mark your reply as answer, and it will benefit other community members who encountered similar issue.

Have a nice day:)

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, June 27, 2016 8:07 AM