Active Directory Web Service on web server

Question

• Hello,

I am creating an app that will pull the userID from the active directory. The problem is I know windows store apps don't allow for use of the Directory Services and I saw an article that said you can use Active Directory Web services but I have failed to find an example of how to implement in windows 8 apps. I am aware of how to get the information I need on windows 7 operating system for example and when manually trying to get the dll's I still get errors.

So my question is, is the active directory web service the way to go? And if so could you provide an example of this?

Thanks for the help!

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 11:11 AM

Answers

• Well, certainly, if you have it set up. Accessing web services are the same across any windows Store app:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh556233(v=vs.110).aspx

If you're looking for code that specifically accesses AD, you would need to ask on an AD forum.  Even then, I doubt that you'd get Store code, but you should be able to port it.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Friday, April 4, 2014 2:30 PM

All replies

• This video should help:

http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Cloud+Cover/Episode-109-Using-Windows-Azure-Active-Directory-from-Windows-Store-apps

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 1:20 PM
  • Can this be done without using Windows Azure? That is not an option for me at the current time.
    Wednesday, April 2, 2014 2:11 PM
  • Well, certainly, if you have it set up. Accessing web services are the same across any windows Store app:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh556233(v=vs.110).aspx

If you're looking for code that specifically accesses AD, you would need to ask on an AD forum.  Even then, I doubt that you'd get Store code, but you should be able to port it.

Friday, April 4, 2014 2:30 PM