Any plan for Activatable Components for Desktop Applications? RRS feed

• General discussion

• We have a large desktop application which currently uses DirectShow graphs to display Video, Audio, and Closed Caption data. We have all kinds of problems with oddball filter loads on client machines. We would be very interested in migrating this to Media Foundation activatable components so the tested and verified components could be distributed with the application.

Consider this a formal request that the Activatable Components be migrated to the Desktop environment!

John West, Starz Entertainment Group.

Friday, December 23, 2011 2:07 AM

All replies

• I am not sure what you are referring to by the phrase "activatable components."  I am guessing you are referring to activatable classes in the Windows 8 runtime?  Media Foundation started off as a desktop API and any functionality available in Metro apps is available on the desktop.  In fact, the functionality available in the Windows 8 runtime is just a shadow of what is available on the desktop.

MF is great at dealing with the random third party filter loads that plagued DShow.  Between IMFPluginControl and local registration, it is easy to ensure your own components get loaded and others are not.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 8:30 PM
  • I am talking about the activatable classes in Windows 8 runtime. The word I heard was that this capability depended on the Appx distribution architecture which was not planned for outside the Metro-Style App environment.
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:22 PM