none
Advantages of Kinect for windows RRS feed

• Question

• Hi people!

My name is Vianney, I'm from Brazil.

I have a question. I want  develop aplications for kinect with SDK 1.5. Academic aplications!

But, in my country the kinect for windows costs much more than xbox sensor version.

In my case. Is it the best purchase a kinect for windows ou kinec xbox?

What are the real advantages of the version for windows on the versio for xbox?

Thank you for the help and pacience!

Vianney
    Wednesday, June 6, 2012 3:03 PM

Answers

• You're going to need to get the Kinect for Windows device.

There are academic discounts available though so you should try to hunt those down.

From http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinectforwindows/purchase/overview.aspx, Academic Pricing  - Students and faculty of accredited higher education institutions qualify for academic pricing. Find out if you qualify, and then purchase online or visit a Microsoft Store         

From the Kinect for Windows FAQ, http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinectforwindows/news/faq.aspx

Can I download the Kinect for Windows SDK and use it with my Kinect for Xbox 360?

The Kinect for Windows SDK has been designed for the Kinect for Windows hardware and application development is only licensed with use of the Kinect for Windows sensor. We do not recommend using Kinect for Xbox 360 to assist in the development of Kinect for Windows applications. Developers should plan to transition to Kinect for Windows hardware for development purposes and should expect that their users will also be using Kinect for Windows hardware as well.      

What are the terms of the commercial license? How is the commercial license different from the non-commercial license?

The commercial license authorizes development and distribution of commercial applications. The beta SDK was only for research, testing and experimentation, and was not suitable for use with final, commercial products. The new license that's available with the Kinect for Windows version 1.0 and version 1.5 software will enable developers to create and sell their Kinect for Windows applications to customers using Kinect for Windows hardware on Windows platforms. You can read the full end-user license agreement here.

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 4:05 PM

All replies

• You're going to need to get the Kinect for Windows device.

There are academic discounts available though so you should try to hunt those down.

From http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinectforwindows/purchase/overview.aspx, Academic Pricing  - Students and faculty of accredited higher education institutions qualify for academic pricing. Find out if you qualify, and then purchase online or visit a Microsoft Store         

From the Kinect for Windows FAQ, http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinectforwindows/news/faq.aspx

Can I download the Kinect for Windows SDK and use it with my Kinect for Xbox 360?

The Kinect for Windows SDK has been designed for the Kinect for Windows hardware and application development is only licensed with use of the Kinect for Windows sensor. We do not recommend using Kinect for Xbox 360 to assist in the development of Kinect for Windows applications. Developers should plan to transition to Kinect for Windows hardware for development purposes and should expect that their users will also be using Kinect for Windows hardware as well.      

What are the terms of the commercial license? How is the commercial license different from the non-commercial license?

The commercial license authorizes development and distribution of commercial applications. The beta SDK was only for research, testing and experimentation, and was not suitable for use with final, commercial products. The new license that's available with the Kinect for Windows version 1.0 and version 1.5 software will enable developers to create and sell their Kinect for Windows applications to customers using Kinect for Windows hardware on Windows platforms. You can read the full end-user license agreement here.

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 4:05 PM
  • Greg is right academic discounts are great on the kinect for windows so instead of $200 you pay $150 unless its gotten cheaper in the last month or two since i checked it.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://jefferycarlsonblog.blogspot.com/

Thursday, June 7, 2012 1:40 PM
  • Hi Greg, thank you for all. But, I think the academic discounts are only for students whose doing a course in United States. I dont have any intention to do comercial aplications, only academic aplications.

If academic discounts were for brazilian studantes too, I would buy one now.

Thank you for the pacience and help!

Saturday, June 9, 2012 12:54 AM
  • It is not a new request to make our educational pricing more widely available. I'll pass this along to our business team. My guess is that they are working to widen it...but I have no idea on timing.

THanks, Rob

Saturday, June 9, 2012 1:05 AM
  • Hi!

I'm student at Catolical University of Pernambuco (Universidade Católica de Pernambuco), Brazil.

Is it possible I buy this kinect with academic discount? But I need the kinect here, in Brazil, and I' want to buy one  in United States.

Is it possible?

Thanks a lot!

Vianney

• Edited by Vianney_Jr Saturday, June 9, 2012 5:46 AM
    Saturday, June 9, 2012 1:09 AM