Restore windows 7 from windows developers preview

Question

• i have installed windows developer preview with tools on windows 7 i thought it is just going to be a new software but unfortunately when it rebooted my old os is gone. i was in shock what to do i dont have restore point saved. i searched the c drive and i found my old windows files are stored in windows.old. then i searched many forum to restore back my old windows 7 as it is but it is clearally mentioned that windows developer preview can not be restored but the copy of windows.old made me to belive there must be some way old that is why it has been saved. i have done many trials to restore c drive only from my recovery image but then that will loose my old data in c drive so i didnt do that and i tried to repair windows 7 and it repaired a boot record so now at least i got the boot option to boot in windows 7 or windows developer i selected windows 7 but after login screen it did not moved further then i realised that my old windows files are not in root directory. so i booted my laptop with live bootable cd and in that i renamed all root windows directory to windows.new, programfiles.new, user.new like wise and i cut paste directories from windows.old to root and restarted my sytems. Bingo i got my old windows 7 system back and it is working fine as just before installing windows developer. Now i am back to my original system and i am trying to install windows developer preview on some other partion with dual boot. if you have any doubt you can post here.

Bingo!

-Shravan Bafna

Monday, September 19, 2011 6:49 AM

Answers

• Shravan,

Which "live bootable cd" did you use exactly?

I appreciate your initial post. Very helpful. I ended up using the "Command Prompt" from the Windows 7 DVD. A bunch of "move" commands for the folders you mentioned, repaired boot record and got my system back.

Thanks!

Friday, September 23, 2011 1:36 AM

All replies

• I do not see a question there. How anything particular to consult?
    • Proposed as answer by Nop-anan Wednesday, October 05, 2011 4:20 PM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 6:54 AM
  • Now i am back to my original system and i am trying to install windows developer preview on some other partion with dual boot.

Two dual boot guides:

http://lifehacker.com/5840387/how-to-dual+boot-windows-7-and-windows-8-side-by-side

http://www.product-reviews.net/2011/09/14/how-to-dual-boot-windows-7-and-windows-8-developer-preview/

Notes about installing the Windows Developer Preview

The Windows Developer Preview is a pre-beta version of Windows 8 for developers. These downloads include prerelease software that may change without notice. The software is provided as is, and you bear the risk of using it. It may not be stable, operate correctly or work the way the final version of the software will. It should not be used in a production environment.

If you install it over Windows 7:

You can't uninstall the Windows Developer Preview. To reinstall your previous operating system, you must have restore or installation media.

Monday, September 19, 2011 7:18 AM
  • Shravan,

Which "live bootable cd" did you use exactly?

I appreciate your initial post. Very helpful. I ended up using the "Command Prompt" from the Windows 7 DVD. A bunch of "move" commands for the folders you mentioned, repaired boot record and got my system back.

Thanks!

Friday, September 23, 2011 1:36 AM