none
Hosting multiple instances of same VSTO 2010 Outlook add-on with different environment configuration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have built a Outlook 2007 add-on by using VSTO 2010. This add-on is displayed in the CustomTaskPanes. I want to install both production version and test version side by side on the same computer with outlook 2007. I could do this by publishing the application in two different URLs with different environment configuration and assembly name.

The problem now is when click on the toolbar to open the add-on, it opens both the Production and Test. But I want only production add-on coming up when i click on Production button from the tool bar.

Mr Genius
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 9:39 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Genius,

You can't load different add-ins for various instances of Office application at the same time in one computer. The only way to test your various version add-in at the same time I can tell is using Virtual machine.

If I have misunderstood anything, please feel free to let me know.

Good day,

Calvin Gao[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Friday, December 2, 2011 9:25 AM
  • Does that mean at any point of time only one VSTO application can be installed and used on outlook 2007?

I think VSTO runtime would treat them as two different applications. Actually I could load both the Add-ins.  Now the problem is the Button on the tool bar gets me both the add-ins activated on clicking.

Mr Genius
    Friday, December 2, 2011 6:38 PM
  • You can have many addins running at once in Outlook, but each must have its own unique ProgId and have unique CLSID's for any COM components that are being registered.

Trying to do what you're doing isn't really supported and if you do get things working you'd also need to make the UI you create unique to each addin with different control tags and id's so a control event doesn't fire in both instances of the addin.

Most people will test different addin configurations either at different times or on different machines or virtual machines.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007

"MrGenius" <=?utf-8?B?TXJHZW5pdXM=?=> wrote in message news:3a2e2105-d896-4840-8dc0-6dbb23acd5d3...

Does that mean at any point of time only one VSTO application can be installed and used on outlook 2007?

I think VSTO runtime would treat them as two different applications. Actually I could load both the Add-ins.  Now the problem is the Button on the tool bar gets me both the add-ins activated on clicking.

Mr Genius

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    • Marked as answer by MrGenius Wednesday, December 7, 2011 2:19 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by MrGenius Wednesday, December 14, 2011 4:28 PM
    Monday, December 5, 2011 3:29 PM
  • I finally found the solution to it. the Tag property was causing the problem.

The actual problem is stated here by another user http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vsx/thread/3460a625-eaf6-4dcd-843f-2886089ae467

Also refer http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/HV080807380.aspx

Mr Genius

• Marked as answer by MrGenius Wednesday, December 14, 2011 4:28 PM
    • Edited by MrGenius Wednesday, December 14, 2011 4:43 PM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 4:27 PM