How does MCDST compare to old MCP's?? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi guys,

I wonder if you can help?

I hold an MCP for the Windows 2000 Professional Operating System which I picked up some time ago.

I was just wondering if anyone knew how the exams 70-271 and 70-272 which are the ones needed to become qualified as an MCDST compare to the old MCP exams?

Is there as much work in each one of the 70-271 and 70-272 exams as there was for becoming an MCP in a Microsoft operating system back in the day? Will it take as much time to study for each one of these as would have done for an MCP?

Thanks very much indeed, any help is much, much appreciated : )

Thanks,

Dan : )

Friday, February 13, 2009 9:30 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Dan,

The answer to this questions lies mainly on how much experience do you have in using/supporting WinXP.
    Given the fact that I use XP for 8 years on a daily basis and spend some time in the MS Self paced training kit (http://www.microsoft.com/MSPress/books/5398.aspx) for the 70-270 exam and used it as well for the 70-271 and 70-272, I would have to say that you should be able to pass the exams with a couple of weeks studying the book if you have a fair amount of user experience.

My suggestion is read the prep guides (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exams/70-271.mspx & http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exams/70-272.mspx) to determine whether you master the measured skills

Hope this helps you, Good luck.
    Regards,
    Reinoud
    MCP MCDST MCTS MCITP
    • Proposed as answer by Reinoud Friday, February 13, 2009 10:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by Michael D. Alligood Saturday, February 14, 2009 12:58 AM
    Friday, February 13, 2009 10:02 PM
  • Well first of all, the 70-271 and 70-272 are MCP exams. Together they make up the MCDST.

Secondly, Reinoud is correct. It is all in what you know. Review the prep guide posted for each exam and determine if you have the proficiency in the tested objectives.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Michael D. Alligood,
    MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician, Consumer Support Technician
    MCTS: Windows Vista - Configuration,
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+, Network+

The I.T. Classroom Blog
    Start. Research. Plan. Perform. Finish. Test. Evaluate.
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 12:58 AM
  • That's great. Thanks very much guys, really appreciate it : ) : )

Thanks,

Dan : )
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 7:55 AM
  • Posting an bit late i guess :)
    I have been using Microsoft XP for several years professionally , I prepped for the 70-271 and 70-272 exams
    by watching some videos and going over both books once.

All in all that took me about 2 weeks after wich i passed both exams with an score of over 900

So if you have some experience with XP in an corporate enviroment both these exams shouldnt be too hard for you.
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 8:33 PM
  • Thanks Henk : )
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 9:11 AM