none
COMException accessing Visio Page through Interop RRS feed

• Question

• Not sure this is the right forum. We're building in Visual Studio 2010 Pro, against whatever Interops are involved (version 14.X I think) for Microsoft Office 2010.

We're receiving the error report (below) when we try to access a Visio Page through its Interop.

* AFAIK, we've got Visio installed and properly licensed. Don't know if we need to activate it or not.

* Also, AFAIK, we've got the Interop references in our assembly(ies) in a non-version specific manner; I think that's the best practice from other forum posts I've read.

Only during operation, we get an APPCRASH with VISIO.EXE.

* I've checked a couple of things to do with path lengths of the file(s) involved, including temporary documents we load, stencils, etc.

Don't know, per se, what the precise culprit is causing the issue.

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:        APPCRASH
      Application Name:        VISIO.EXE
      Application Version:        14.0.6111.5000
      Application Timestamp:        4e714351
      Fault Module Name:        StackHash_046a
      Fault Module Version:        6.1.7601.17725
      Fault Module Timestamp:        4ec49b8f
      Exception Code:        c0000374
      Exception Offset:        000ce6c3
      OS Version:        6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
      Locale ID:        1033
      Additional Information 1:        046a
      Additional Information 2:        046a2d3a9d0eeb251ef69c15f38914fc
      Additional Information 3:        e207
      Additional Information 4:        e207f9b3a18fb76589f415c664ab7f5b

Read our privacy statement online:
      http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy
    statement offline:
      C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Thursday, April 19, 2012 4:55 PM

Answers

• To clarify...

I've got: AxInterop.Microsoft.Office.Interop.VisOcx Version 12.0.0.0

We also reference: Microsoft.Office.Interop.Visio Version 14.0.0.0 and: Microsoft.Office.Interop.VisOcx Version 14.0.0.0 from one project.

Then from another project, the same two assemblies, onle: 12.0.0.0

So I'm thinking that we've got some strange version conflict going on?

I'm not quite up to speed on all the Microsoft Office development issues, particularly PIA versioning.

Can someone shed some light on the subject, or direct me to an article that does?

Thank you...

• Marked as answer by mwpowellhtx Thursday, April 19, 2012 8:41 PM
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 8:23 PM

All replies

• One plausible (highly probably?) explanation is that we've upgraded to the latest Microsoft Office 2010 suite from 2007. AFAIK, the Automation import is for the old office version. So, plausibly, there is a conflict there?

Which leads me to my next question... How do we import the Automation Interop from the PIA's? We can load the PIA's in the references just fine, but if we go that route, I am finding that DrawingControl, for example, is failing to include some key details like that it should be a Control: that we do all over the place in our code, whereas, AxDrawingControl, for instance, does know that it should be a Control.

Need help identifying the right answer here please... Thank you.

Thursday, April 19, 2012 5:48 PM
  • To clarify...

I've got: AxInterop.Microsoft.Office.Interop.VisOcx Version 12.0.0.0

We also reference: Microsoft.Office.Interop.Visio Version 14.0.0.0 and: Microsoft.Office.Interop.VisOcx Version 14.0.0.0 from one project.

Then from another project, the same two assemblies, onle: 12.0.0.0

So I'm thinking that we've got some strange version conflict going on?

I'm not quite up to speed on all the Microsoft Office development issues, particularly PIA versioning.

Can someone shed some light on the subject, or direct me to an article that does?

Thank you...

• Marked as answer by mwpowellhtx Thursday, April 19, 2012 8:41 PM
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 8:23 PM
  • This appears to be precisely the case. We have the Interops for 12.0.0.0. When we include those, we run without errors. I've also installed Microsoft Office 2007 just in case; don't know if that has any bearing or not.

Next question(s):

* Where in the world do we identify the AxInterop.Microsoft.Office.Interop.VisOcx? Is that something that can be found? Or possibly that's something that we imported through TlbImp (?) (don't know; I've inherited this project, and much of the mechanical stuff is a mystery still).

* If we could just go with the Microsoft.Office.Interop.Visio, I'd like to do that, only this doesn't have AxDrawingControl, which we use A LOT of. The closest thing is DrawingControl, but this isn't truly a control it seems, and doesn't have half the properties and methods we use A LOT of.

Observations? Recommendations? Much appreciated...

Thanks...

Thursday, April 19, 2012 8:46 PM