none
VSTO Outlook 2010 - Public Folder Appointment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can anyone advise on this issue:

When creating a meeting in a public folder how do you emulate the functionality of the outlook pop up that asks if you would like to update your calendar?

If I add myself a a recipient the meeting is not created in my calendar as well as the public folder as I am the organiser.

Thanks

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 2:11 PM

Answers

• You can create an appointment item in your own calendar and then copy it to a public folder. Does it make sense?
    Tuesday, May 13, 2014 4:49 PM
  • Tracking won't occur for the meeting responses except in your default calendar. You should do what Eugene suggested and create the appointment in the default calendar and copy it to the public folder.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 2:24 PM
  • Try using the GlobalAppointmentID property, that should be the same for any items related to a specific appointment.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 5:27 PM

All replies

• Hello,

What code do you use for adding new appointment?

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 2:27 PM
  • I have a class that wraps the MAPI folder exposing the Items collection. I use the Add method to create the Appointment Item.
    Tuesday, May 13, 2014 2:32 PM
  • Did you try to add yourself to the Recipients collection of the AppointmentItem class?
    Tuesday, May 13, 2014 2:47 PM
  • Yes, when you do that the meeting request is diverted to your deleted items as you are the meeting organiser and as such do not need to reply to the request.

When you create a meeting in a public folder through outlook you receive a message box option to update your calendar and the appointment is pushed into your personal calendar.

I believe this may be some kind of work around within outlook.

I can create a copy of the appointment in my calendar (AppointmentItem.Copy .Move) but this does not receive any updates as it is orphaned from the master appointment.

any ideas/help gratefully received, public folders are a bit of a coding horror in VSTO with their limitied functionality (no way of trackign deleted items properly in outlook etc).

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 2:53 PM
  • Why do you need to create an appointment item in a public folder?
    Tuesday, May 13, 2014 3:20 PM
  • Visibility
    Tuesday, May 13, 2014 3:50 PM
  • You can create an appointment item in your own calendar and then copy it to a public folder. Does it make sense?
    Tuesday, May 13, 2014 4:49 PM
  • Not really I'm afraid, I need the underlying linkage for updates and cancellations.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 8:05 AM
  • Tracking won't occur for the meeting responses except in your default calendar. You should do what Eugene suggested and create the appointment in the default calendar and copy it to the public folder.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 2:24 PM
  • Thanks ken,

Whichever way I run the scenario I will have to track the appointment ID of the other item as I will need to manage any changes made to the master item.

Thanks to you both for helping to clarify what can and can't be done.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 3:53 PM
  • Try using the GlobalAppointmentID property, that should be the same for any items related to a specific appointment.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 5:27 PM
  • Thanks Ken,

I'll use that to track.

Friday, May 16, 2014 2:47 PM