none
Small Business Server x86 RRS feed

• Question

• Where's SBS for x86?  I see the x64 version there, and I see tools for x86, but I don't see the actual x86 image itself... 
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 8:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• Good question, it looks like that to me too.  I'll ask the Subscriptions team and see what I can find out.

Thanks,
    Mike
    MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 8:47 PM
  • After a quick search, I think I found the answer.

According to the Small Business Server 2008 System Requirements page http://www.microsoft.com/sbs/en/us/system-requirements.aspx  and the first question on the SBS 2008 FAQ  http://www.microsoft.com/sbs/en/us/faq.aspx, SBS is x64 only. 

Thanks,
    Mike
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 8:55 PM
  • Ok Mike, thanks for finding that for me.   What's with the additional server tools x86?
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 8:57 PM
  • Glad you asked because I was just talking to the subscriptions team about that question in case you did :)

That has more to do with what is offerred in SBS vs. what is offered in MSDN Subscriptions than anything else.

As you can see here, SBS 2008 Premium includes everything in SBS Standard with the addition of an additional copy of Windows Server 2008 Standard, so you can run a second server.  The SBS team ships 5 discs in their kit, and disc 3 and 4 contain the x86 version of Windows Server 2008 Standard and the x64 version respectively these are also referred to as "Additional Server Technologies" in some places in SBS. 

You can also see on the System Requirements page the section on the Additional Server for Premium Only refers to an x86 or x64 processor requirement.

MSDN Subscriptions already includes these builds of WInodws Server 2008 elsewhere, but it would look confusing if we just had Discs 1, 2, and 5 of SBS.  So, we repost them, named consistently, so people know that a) we offer everything in SBS 2008 Premium, and b) that they know when they've downloaded everything in SBS 2008 Premium.

Hope that all makes sense.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Mike

Thursday, November 20, 2008 9:13 PM