none
Kinect skeleton detection issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

I have placed kinect at height of approx. 11 ft from ground and at an angle so that it can detect all joints properly.

I have used Firenex Optic repeaters for connecting Optic cables . When checked , I got all the configurations confirmed except warning at USB port. I am getting framerate of 30FPS . For some reason there is a delay in detecting some bodies (Not bodies with specific height). The joints are getting detected late (delay of 2-3 seconds) and hence I am not getting coordinates properly at the time when application requires it. What could be the reason behind this? What component can cause delay or packet loss? 

Tuesday, June 6, 2017 6:23 AM

All replies

• It's too high. The max height for the sensor is about 2-2.2m. Also the viewing angle is too big. It's bound to mess things up.

Can you run Kinect Studio and see how that behaves? If it doesn't behave as expected, then you should lower the sensor.

Keep in mind that the higher the sensor, the more you have to tilt it and some joints can occlude others.For example, if you stand in front of the sensor and extend your arm so that it aligns with the Z axis of the sensor, your hand joints might occlude the elbow and shoulder. It depends on a number of things but still. Also if someone stands in front of the sensor and at a distance that the feet are close to the bottom side of the fov frustum, it tends to distort the data a bit for the feet.

Tuesday, June 6, 2017 7:31 AM
  • Thanks for the reply

It is detecting from that height and angle. The only problem is delay. I am facing a lag while detection. I have also used Kinect v1 before with the same height and angle. Kinect v1 was detecting better than Kinect v1. There was no delay for detection with Kinect v1.

Tuesday, June 6, 2017 11:06 AM
  • What's your GPU model?
    Tuesday, June 6, 2017 11:10 AM
  • AMD Radeon HD 7000 series
    Wednesday, June 7, 2017 9:59 AM
  • More specifically? 7790? 7970? 7730?

Also should I assume it is a desktop?

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 10:13 AM
  • The system is DELL Optiplex 7010. When I checked in Device manager it is showing Display Driver as AMD Radeon HD 7000 series.
    Wednesday, June 7, 2017 11:57 AM
  • I checked the Dell out. I found drivers for either a 7470 or a 7570 on an Optiplex. Checked their specs out and I think either of them is pretty low-end. Optiplex is a server machine from what i saw, so it usually doesn't need a good gpu. It would help if you could download TechPowerUp GPU-Z and install it. Take screenshots of any graphics cards on your system(in case there's more than one, check the bottom left part of the application and there'll be a dropdown menu to select from) and post them here.

By the way, I saw Optiplex comes in a variety of cpus, i7-5-3 and I think Celeron. Which is yours? Have you checked whether you clear the requirements for Kinect Runtime?

Did you try Kinect Studio? Is there a delay there as well?

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 2:05 PM
  • The processor is i5.

Yes I checked with Kinect Studio. It is detecting person properly but fails to detect joints. Joints appears after 2 seconds when I enter the coverage area.

Thursday, June 8, 2017 12:06 PM
  • There is always a delay when a body enters the field of view of the sensor. There's some processing that needs to be done for the skeleton to be created.After that there won't be delays.

Is this what you meant by delay? I thought it was more of a permanent nature...as in tracking was delayed in all subsequent frames.

Thursday, June 8, 2017 12:13 PM
  • Yes ......It takes some time to create complete skeleton and then only it provides you proper joints data.
    Friday, June 9, 2017 3:52 AM