I suppose that dropping SQL SERVER CE is the cause of delaying the WebMatrix4 release. Is that right? RRS feed

• Question

• User-157580668 posted

WebMatrix is very awesome tool. I love it. And I don't want use Visual Studio because it is too complicated and heavy.

But since WebMatrix3 released in 2013, It is not updated for many years.

I think It is related to SQL Server problem.

Azure dont't recommend SQL SERVER CE. and Microsoft dropped SQL CE Project.

So I suppose that Webmatrix team is not determined to use which DMBS program.

I just want to know my suppose is right. Others also think like that?

well.. personally, I prefer SQL CE Because It's very lightweight, and simple.

and I long for WebMatrix4. I am falling in love with Webmatrix.

P.S) Sorry for my bad English. English is not my primary language. I'm korean.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 4:20 AM

Answers

• User-821857111 posted

There will be no WebMatrix 4. Microsoft have stopped active development of WebMatrix. At this stage, they are uncertain what Web Pages will look like in the new ASP.NET Core framework. It may be that Visual Studio Code gains database management support and will become the recommended tool for a new Web Pages framework. 

WebMatrix 3 is not dependent on SQL Server Compact. It supports any database that has a .NET provider.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 7:25 AM
  • User379720387 posted

I started out like you, refusing to switch to Visual Studio because I liked WebMatrix.  But I was using the debugging tools in conjunction with WebMatrix already, so the switch to Visual Studio was predestined.

It is a pretty painful to take a WebMatrix site and move it to VS, I still have lingering issues as a result.

VS will not give you a development environment that is more reliable, just more capable.

As far as Azure is concerned, Microsoft wants you to use Azure SQL, and not SQL CE.  As an alternative they propose SQLite. That suggestion is outright laughable. Read any SQLite chat forum and you will see why. On top of that SQLite does not allow simultaneous write operations to the db.

Support for SQL CE has been removed from VS2013, luckily there is a tool called SQL CE toolbox that allows you to use SQL CE with Visual Studio.

The toolbox is not a perfect solution, more features than WebMatrix, but it has some quirks. Especially in a multi-monitor setup.

A Web Pages site with a SQL CE db works without problems on Azure.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 12:13 PM

All replies

• User-821857111 posted

There will be no WebMatrix 4. Microsoft have stopped active development of WebMatrix. At this stage, they are uncertain what Web Pages will look like in the new ASP.NET Core framework. It may be that Visual Studio Code gains database management support and will become the recommended tool for a new Web Pages framework. 

WebMatrix 3 is not dependent on SQL Server Compact. It supports any database that has a .NET provider.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 7:25 AM
  • User379720387 posted

I started out like you, refusing to switch to Visual Studio because I liked WebMatrix.  But I was using the debugging tools in conjunction with WebMatrix already, so the switch to Visual Studio was predestined.

It is a pretty painful to take a WebMatrix site and move it to VS, I still have lingering issues as a result.

VS will not give you a development environment that is more reliable, just more capable.

As far as Azure is concerned, Microsoft wants you to use Azure SQL, and not SQL CE.  As an alternative they propose SQLite. That suggestion is outright laughable. Read any SQLite chat forum and you will see why. On top of that SQLite does not allow simultaneous write operations to the db.

Support for SQL CE has been removed from VS2013, luckily there is a tool called SQL CE toolbox that allows you to use SQL CE with Visual Studio.

The toolbox is not a perfect solution, more features than WebMatrix, but it has some quirks. Especially in a multi-monitor setup.

A Web Pages site with a SQL CE db works without problems on Azure.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 12:13 PM