.pkgdef file registry entries RRS feed

• Question

• Hey,

I've written a policy-Addin for TFS. It is a VSIX-Installer and the registry entries I'm writting through a .pkgdef-File. For using it through tf.exe I need some registry-entries. 

The entry

[$RootKey$\TeamFoundation\SourceControl\Checkin Policies]

"PolicyPlugin"="$PackageFolder$\PolicyPlugin.dll"

is working fine, but the entry 

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\TeamFoundation\SourceControl\Checkin Policies]

"PolicyPlugin"="$PackageFolder$\PolicyPlugin.dll"

doesn't work. How do I need to write the .pkgdef-File, that both registry entries are working. 

Thanks for any answer.

• Moved by John Qiao Monday, November 5, 2012 8:27 AM (From:Team Foundation Server – Power Tools & Add-ons)
    Friday, November 2, 2012 3:54 PM

Answers

• Hi Mr.xyzsfasdf,

The VSIX format uses strictly file-based deployment and does not support writing to the Global Assembly Cache (GAC), or to the system registry.

If you want to write system registry, I am suggesting you can create a Setup project in Visual Studio and add it to the solution that contains your extension.

More information you can refer to:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd393694.aspx

Best regards,

Ego [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Marked as answer by nubera Thursday, November 8, 2012 7:10 AM
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 2:28 AM

All replies

• Hi Mr.xyzsfasdf,

Thanks for your post.

As this issue relate to deploy dll to Registry using VSIX, I moved it to VS Extensibility forum for the better response.

John Qiao [MSFT]

Monday, November 5, 2012 8:26 AM
  • Hi Mr.xyzsfasdf,

The VSIX format uses strictly file-based deployment and does not support writing to the Global Assembly Cache (GAC), or to the system registry.

If you want to write system registry, I am suggesting you can create a Setup project in Visual Studio and add it to the solution that contains your extension.

More information you can refer to:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd393694.aspx

Best regards,

Ego [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by nubera Thursday, November 8, 2012 7:10 AM
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 2:28 AM