Mirroring across networks RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are in the process of creating a DR setup and I want to gather some info. on database mirroring in such a situation.

In both live and DR SQL Server will sit on a SAN. connection between the two environments will be across a fibre optic trunk and the two environments will sit on different networks(live on 10.168.11.X and DR on 10.168.10.X). Is there any considerations I need to be aware of when mirroring across networks?

Cheers

Paul

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 2:59 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Are the servers in the same domain?  What mirroring mode will you be using synchronous/asynchronous?  What version of SQL Server?

Thanks, Andrew

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 3:10 PM
  • if both the servers are in the same domain , then start both the servers  with same username ,if both the servers are not in domain,then start both the SQL Servers with the same user name and password (.\administrator) ,

when a end point is created , please make sure that Port number is added in exceptions in Firewalls and Antivirus

Ramesh Babu Vavilla MCTS,MSBI

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 4:33 PM
  • The servewrs are in different domains.

I'm using SQL Server 2005.

At the minute I'm considering synchronous mirroring but I need to get more info on this.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 7:14 AM
  • Hi,

If you can't establish a trust between domains, then it looks like setting up mirroring with certificates is your only option.  Here's a good walkthrough on it:

http://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/1705/implementing-database-mirroring-in-sql-server-2005-across-domains/

Thanks, Andrew

• Proposed as answer by Shulei Chen Tuesday, September 11, 2012 10:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Shulei Chen Wednesday, September 12, 2012 8:56 AM
    Wednesday, September 5, 2012 8:57 AM
  • Thanks Andrew. I'll take a look at that.
    Wednesday, September 5, 2012 10:54 AM