none
Biztalk newbie, how to implement biztalk + edi + xml ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys

My company is a e-commerce company and we consider to delop biztalk + edi for our trading partner system. Our vendors provide us their product information and we process these files and sell  their products on our site. Initially we would like  to apply biztalk + edi for this action only and later on, order and invoice can be invovled.

My questions are:

1. If we deloy biztalk + edi, is it necessary to require all our suppliers to deploy too?What they need to do in terms of IT deployment ? How vendors sent files to Biztalk?

2. What application/code we need to write to make biztalk + edi fit in our existing database schema? I mean after we receive the EDI, BizTalk is able to validate and process the EDI file, atfer this, how can we apply our business rules and store all information into our database? Currently we use MS SQL

Any ideas and answers are welcomed. Dont know if I specify my questions clearly enough, thanks in advance.

Rui

• Edited by RuiOO Friday, January 28, 2011 6:49 AM
    Friday, January 28, 2011 3:26 AM

Answers

• 1. No, the suppliers do not need BizTalk. They should just expose a way to exchange the EDI like over a VAN. You can connect to the VAN to send them EDI and receive EDI from them.

2. I would have the supplier upload/manage their product information in an admin section on your website. Or you could expose a web service for them to send product information. Often product descriptions are very large and would overflow the EDI fields. Additionally, images cannot be sent over EDI.

3. Not sure what you are asking. You may need to log the EDI messages. When you receive messages in you can send the message to a WCF-SQL port to call a proc and log the message.

Thanks,

If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so | Ben Cline
    • Marked as answer by RuiOO Sunday, January 30, 2011 11:28 PM
    Friday, January 28, 2011 5:24 AM

All replies

• 1. No, the suppliers do not need BizTalk. They should just expose a way to exchange the EDI like over a VAN. You can connect to the VAN to send them EDI and receive EDI from them.

2. I would have the supplier upload/manage their product information in an admin section on your website. Or you could expose a web service for them to send product information. Often product descriptions are very large and would overflow the EDI fields. Additionally, images cannot be sent over EDI.

3. Not sure what you are asking. You may need to log the EDI messages. When you receive messages in you can send the message to a WCF-SQL port to call a proc and log the message.

Thanks,

If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so | Ben Cline
    • Marked as answer by RuiOO Sunday, January 30, 2011 11:28 PM
    Friday, January 28, 2011 5:24 AM
  • Hi Ben

Thanks for your reply. What I want to know is, let me get you an example: One EDI file contains product information of one of our vendors. After BizTalk process and parse the EDI file, it gives us all data fields of vendor's products. E.g. product name, quantity, cost,description ,etc. What we need to do is modify those fileds based on our rules/needs, and then store all product information into MS SQL Server. How can we do these in BizTalk? 

Cheers,

Friday, January 28, 2011 6:58 AM