none
Partially turn off EDI validation for RRS feed

• Question

• I use a process already in place at my company so here are my limitations: I need to have Hipaa 835 data that usually comes in as text converted to XML. I then do some lookups with the data and then the selected batches I pass through (not literally, but almost) to a third party, back in its original format. Were it not for the lookup I could just use a passthrough pipeline, but because of some complicated lookup logic I need them in an XML format. Everything works fine except that I need to pass through even values that are not fully EDI validated. In other words, I don't want to junk a record just because an n104 is too long, etc. If the records are clean, no problem and it works fine, but I need to write out even ones that are not clean. When I turn off the validation completely, in either the party or the disassembler it fails for not being able to find a subscriber, so I need some way that (probably) leaves the promotions, etc. in place but doesn't suspend for minor edi syntax. Is my problem/questionmaking sense, and can anyone suggest a work around or where to look for ideas? Thanks, Glenn Yates Biztalk 2009, by the way
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 6:22 PM

Answers

• I would never recomend that you turn off validation. The application is trying to tell you something, so it is best to correct it. The validation you are talking about is happening at the schema. The way to turn that off is to modify the schema node and take off the requirement. However, I DO NOT recomend you do that. Instead, use the failed routing message and put those messages somewhere. If your trade partner is sending you bad data, they need to correc the data.
    Please Indicate "Mark as Answer" if this Post has Answered the Question
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 11:59 AM
  • As Carlos_T mentioned, but didn't recommend (neither do I), you could turn off the validation at that node.  However, maybe a better solution is to work out a partner agreement on the particular elements in question.  Still do validation on the element, but have the partners agree to what the max length will be for that element. 

If the element is say, 50 alphanumeric, you could agree with the partner to make it 100 alphanumeric.

I would not, however, change the default namespace schema.  I would create a copy of the 835 schema with a custom namespace for that party with the relaxed EDI edits (changes to the EDI per your partner agreement).  In the party configuration, have the parties with that agreement use the schema with the custom namespace.  Enable that namespace on the EDI party settings for that particular custom transaction (ST1 = 835)

Example:
    Original namespace:  http://schemas.microsoft.com/BizTalk/EDI/X12/2006
    Custom namespace:  http://schemas.microsoft.com/BizTalk/EDI/X12/2006/PartyName.Custom

Thursday, March 31, 2011 7:44 PM

All replies

• I would never recomend that you turn off validation. The application is trying to tell you something, so it is best to correct it. The validation you are talking about is happening at the schema. The way to turn that off is to modify the schema node and take off the requirement. However, I DO NOT recomend you do that. Instead, use the failed routing message and put those messages somewhere. If your trade partner is sending you bad data, they need to correc the data.
    Please Indicate "Mark as Answer" if this Post has Answered the Question
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 11:59 AM
  • As Carlos_T mentioned, but didn't recommend (neither do I), you could turn off the validation at that node.  However, maybe a better solution is to work out a partner agreement on the particular elements in question.  Still do validation on the element, but have the partners agree to what the max length will be for that element. 

If the element is say, 50 alphanumeric, you could agree with the partner to make it 100 alphanumeric.

I would not, however, change the default namespace schema.  I would create a copy of the 835 schema with a custom namespace for that party with the relaxed EDI edits (changes to the EDI per your partner agreement).  In the party configuration, have the parties with that agreement use the schema with the custom namespace.  Enable that namespace on the EDI party settings for that particular custom transaction (ST1 = 835)

Example:
    Original namespace:  http://schemas.microsoft.com/BizTalk/EDI/X12/2006
    Custom namespace:  http://schemas.microsoft.com/BizTalk/EDI/X12/2006/PartyName.Custom

Thursday, March 31, 2011 7:44 PM