none
SharePoint Search not displaying any result

Question

• Hi All 

I have setup a SharePoint 2016 in multi server environment. When I am searching in the search option available in a document library or SharePoint list no result is being displayed. So I created a new Search Service Application. Still no search result is not displayed. But when I create a search center site and added a search webpart and search result webpart it is working fine. All the search related services are running. When checked the error log I am getting an error message as listed below.

"

SearchServiceApplication::GetImsEndpointAddresses--Exception: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.  Parameter name: hostNameOrAddress    

at System.Net.Dns.GetHostEntry(String hostNameOrAddress)    
     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.Topology.QueryProcessingTopologyHandler.GetImsAddresses(String systemName, ISearchTopology topology, IList`1 imsQueryInternalAddresses, IList`1 imsHostNames)    
     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceApplication.GetImsEndpointAddresses() "

Can anyone help me on this.

Regards,

Rahul

Tuesday, April 9, 2019 2:47 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi, Rahul,

I want to confirm something first about your issue:

1. Do the issue occur on all the document libraries/lists or a certain part of them?
    2. Check the crawl log in CA to see whether the contents have been crawled properly.
    3. According to your description, I assume the file in the document library will show up in the search center result. While if you use the search box in the library, the same file will not be found, is that correct?
    4. Have you checked the search topology and health status of your search service? Also please check the connection between servers holding different search components.

Here is a script for SharePoint Search Health Reports:

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/SRx-Core-SharePoint-Search-d60113e9

Best Regards

Jerry Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 8:32 AM
  • Hi Jerry

Thanks a lot for the reply. Please find my comment below in bold

1. Do the issue occur on all the document libraries/lists or a certain part of them?

Ans. Yes, issue occur on all the document libraries in the web application

2. Check the crawl log in CA to see whether the contents have been crawled properly.

Ans. While checking crawl log I am getting an error message as follows :            

"This item could not be crawled because the repository did not respond within the specified     timeout period. Try to crawl the repository at a later time, or increase the timeout value on the Proxy and Timeout page in search administration. You might also want to crawl this repository during off-peak usage times"

3.According to your description, I assume the file in the document library will show up in the search center result. While if you use the search box in the library, the same file will not be found, is that correct?

Ans.Yes,exactly

4.Have you checked the search topology and health status of your search service? Also please check the connection between servers holding different search components.

Ans. The server topology seems to be fine,it is showing green color in the topology. When executed the  script for SharePoint Search Health Rep I got only an error message as follows:

"1 server has significantly less RAM than recommended for its role."

We have 8 GB RAM for search server. Can this be the issue?

Once again thanks a lot for your time.

Regards,

Rahul.

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 12:28 PM
  • Hi, Rahul,

For the error message in crawl log , here is a solution you can have a try: Increase the timeout value on the Proxy and Timeout page in search administration.  And also Change IE proxy settings.  Go Internet Options>Connections>LAN settings. Uncheck 'Automatically detect settings'.

Please Check here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/25534.this-item-could-not-be-crawled-because-the-repository-did-not-respond-within-the-specified-time-out-period.aspx

http://ukreddysharepoint2010.blogspot.com/2014/05/issue-this-item-could-not-be-crawled.html

Then reset you index and do a full crawl.  Make sure you set the Local SharePoint Results as default.  

Please check Server Name Mapping in Search Administration in CA. If you have mappings, please delete it and have test.

Here is a thread with similar issue:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/fd0ae8fa-78ce-4740-b85f-99551c12242c/sharepoint-2013-find-a-file-returning-no-results?forum=sharepointsearch

For the hardware requirement, you can check the official article:  

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/25534.this-item-could-not-be-crawled-because-the-repository-did-not-respond-within-the-specified-time-out-period.aspx

Best Regards

Jerry Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, April 15, 2019 9:35 AM
  • Hi Jerry

Thanks a lot for the reply. Even though we tried steps which is mentioned in the above links you have shared, still we were facing the same issue. Luckily we got another article which fixed our issue. I am just listing its URL for the benefits of  others who come across the same issue. 

https://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/29661/web-application-zone-configuration-problem-with-search

Regards,

Rahul.

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 6:47 AM
  • Hi, Rahul,

Thanks for your sharing. Please mark you reply as answer. It will help other community members to find the solution.

Best Regards

Jerry Xu

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 6:50 AM