none
LINQ a bust? RRS feed

• Question

• I put this question to other developers on my team: "If you could go back to the start of this project knowing what you know now, would you have voted to use LINQ or not?".  We all waffled a bit (because LINQ has some nice things about it), but ultimately all said that no we wouldn't.  Our collective short answer why was "more layers = more problems" (of course, we're all comfortable with some levels of abstraction or we'd all be coding in zeros and ones).

Also, we use LINQ to SQL which we understand to be the best/lightest/least cumbersome of all the LINQ flavors.  I've heard that LINQ to Entities has huge overhead and much greater complexity since it's geared to work with any data source, not just SQL databases.  But then last year, Microsoft claimed LINQ to Entities as the way to go hinting that LINQ to SQL might wane in attention.  This caused an uproar from those who like LINQ to SQL.  For me, it was enough of a last straw to want to go back to good old stored procs and ADO.NET.  My short answer why is "tried and true".

I'd be curious to hear what others more in-the-know have to say.

Thanks.

Monday, December 21, 2009 2:30 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Welcome to LINQ to SQL forum!

In my opinion, this is an open discussion. J  So I’d like to share some of my ideas:

First, I think the object-oriented data model is a trend for the future data access platform.  LINQ to SQL and LINQ to Entities are two of many OO data models.  LINQ to SQL is more light-weighted than LINQ to Entities.  However, LINQ to Entities is more powerful.  I like LINQ to SQL because it is fast and enough in functionality for some small applications.  But if I want a more powerful and secure product, I will select Entity Framework, especially after the EF4 is released with VS2010 and .NET 4.0.  I have to admit that EF1 has many limitations, but we do have much improvements on the next release.  For detail, please see ADO.NET team blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/adonet/default.aspx. 

Besides, LINQ to SQL is still a wonderful product and we have some improvements in .NET 4.0 as well, http://damieng.com/blog/2009/06/01/linq-to-sql-changes-in-net-40. 

But, both LINQ to SQL and LINQ to Entities have their limitations and drawbacks, even in the .NET 4.0.   You are welcome to send your suggestions and feedbacks on both LINQ to SQL and EF.  I will try my best to send them to the product team because Microsoft is always doing the best to make best products for our customers.  

Hope you have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Lingzhi Sun

MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, December 21, 2009 9:49 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Welcome to LINQ to SQL forum!

In my opinion, this is an open discussion. J  So I’d like to share some of my ideas:

First, I think the object-oriented data model is a trend for the future data access platform.  LINQ to SQL and LINQ to Entities are two of many OO data models.  LINQ to SQL is more light-weighted than LINQ to Entities.  However, LINQ to Entities is more powerful.  I like LINQ to SQL because it is fast and enough in functionality for some small applications.  But if I want a more powerful and secure product, I will select Entity Framework, especially after the EF4 is released with VS2010 and .NET 4.0.  I have to admit that EF1 has many limitations, but we do have much improvements on the next release.  For detail, please see ADO.NET team blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/adonet/default.aspx. 

Besides, LINQ to SQL is still a wonderful product and we have some improvements in .NET 4.0 as well, http://damieng.com/blog/2009/06/01/linq-to-sql-changes-in-net-40. 

But, both LINQ to SQL and LINQ to Entities have their limitations and drawbacks, even in the .NET 4.0.   You are welcome to send your suggestions and feedbacks on both LINQ to SQL and EF.  I will try my best to send them to the product team because Microsoft is always doing the best to make best products for our customers.  

Hope you have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Lingzhi Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, December 21, 2009 9:49 AM
  • Hello,

Do you need any further assistance?  If so, please feel free to let me know.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! 

Best Regards,
    Lingzhi Sun

Friday, December 25, 2009 12:36 AM