Software architecture RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am evaluating an idea for a Microsoft office based application and due to my lack of experience and background in this field, I would like to find out what some of the experienced developers feel. I would like to know what is the path of least resistance to develop an application with the following features. What kind of toolchain would I require?

1. The application will add a custom toolbar 'xyz-toolbar' to word, excel, powerpoint, visio

2. The toolbar in word would allow to create 'objects' in the document. Everytime such an object is created, based on the properties of the object, a common database is updated.

3. The toolbar in excel would have buttons to generate reports based on the current state of the database updated in step 2.

4. The toolbar in Powerpoint and visio would allow extracting data from the database to provide some visual representation of the time

In short the architecture of the software is more or less as follows.

I would like to know the following:

1. What framework should I use for such an application?

2. Which databases may be used (Access, .....?). I know this would depend on the requirements of the Database, but I would like to know which ones, the microsoft development tools support

Thank you

• Edited by _Savant_ Wednesday, October 19, 2011 4:04 AM
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 4:04 AM

All replies

• 1) UI would think you want to look at VSTO

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/office/hh133430

I don't know of any particular framework.

2) You can use almost any, so long as there's the drivers available.  So that would include the free versions of SQL Server or MySQL.  I wouldn't use Access myself.

Friday, October 21, 2011 8:56 AM
  • I did an extensive Office integration application using VSTO a few years back.  You can do everything you just described.  Don't use Access - use SQL Server, Express if funding is an issue.

From personal experience I can tell you that VSTO is not for the faint of heart.  Take what you think the project might take (in terms of hours) and triple it.  That's how long it will take.

Evan

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 5:28 PM