none
upgrade XP to WINDOWS 10

Question

• Hi , we have development sessions in windows xp. It supports applications written in vb6, com objects, asp, visual studio - 2003,2008,2010, sql server - 2000, 2005,2008 r2. Now we are in process of moving to Windows 2010 for development sessions. Now my question is, 'are the current systems still supported by this environment or upgrading might break the current applications ? Do we need to upgrade the s/w applications to higher version ? ' Please advice or suggest alternatives.

Many thanks,

RK

• Edited by Rashmi123 Thursday, February 25, 2016 1:28 PM
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 11:18 AM

Answers

• Hi Rashmi123,

>>'are the current systems still supported by this environment or upgrading might break the current applications ?

As far as I know, if you upgrade your Windows from XP to Windows 10, all programs need to reinstall again.

Since this forum is discuss Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor, I just can tell you whether the Visual Studio versions are supported on Windows 10 or not. For the sql server, I suggest you post your question on SQL Server Forum for a better help.

Visual Studio 2008 and 2010 are supported on Windows 10. I have installed all of them on my Windows 10 machine. But for Visual Studio 2003, it has out of life cycle and I can't find an official download site to test it on Windows 10. According to below thread, it has compatible problem with Windows 7. I'm afraid that it may incompatible with Windows 10. I suggest you test it by your self.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/368334b0-f551-4f77-95a3-1abbeb2e8075/visual-studio-net-2003-is-not-compatible-with-windows-7?forum=vssetup

>>Do we need to upgrade the s/w applications to higher version ?

I suggest you upgrade your applications which can let them better compatible with Windows 10. Because there are several version of Windows between XP and Windows 10, there has a very large gap between these Windows. If you upgrade your applications, please download higher version of Visual Studio from below link.

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs.aspx

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, February 26, 2016 6:23 AM