report builder 3.0 stored at RRS feed

• Question

• In report builder 3.0 when the reports are generated on the report server itself,  there are the report Parts (.rsc) and .rdl files. 

When my company's network administrator looked for those files  (.rsc and .rdl) on the report server, he could not find them.

Thus can you tell me where the  report builder files are  acutally stored in the database itself or possibly some other type of files?

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 1:37 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Wendy

It is not a file on the server. It stored as a BLOB in the ReportServer database. You can query these file on the ReportServer database like this.

--for BLOB

select convert(varchar(max), convert(varbinary(max), content))
    from catalog
    where
    content is not null

SELECT ReportCatalog.Path
    FROM

ReportServer
    .dbo.Catalog as ReportCatalog
    WHERE
    (ReportCatalog.Type=2)

ORDER BY ReportCatalog.Path

If you have any question please let me know.

Many Thanks
    Syed Qazafi Anjum

Please click "Mark as Answer" if this resolves your problem or "Vote as Helpful" if you find it helpful.

--for BLOB 
    select convert(varchar(max), convert(varbinary(max), content))
    from catalog
    where content is not null
    SELECT ReportCatalog.Path
    FROM 
    ReportServer.dbo.Catalog as ReportCatalog
    WHERE 
    (ReportCatalog.Type=2)
    ORDER BY ReportCatalog.Path

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 1:42 AM
  • I have the following additional questions to ask:

1. From the sql listed, what part of the statement is a 'BLOB'?

2. I am asking where the report builder 3.0  files are located on the server, since I want to be able to open the report builder 3.0 files on the report server using the bids environment  located on my workstation. I prefer to use bids (visual studio.net 2008 for ssrs reports) since you can drag and drop items from the toolbox in visual studio onto the designer surface. I also would like to use the 'properties' for various SSRS objects since I think the way to access these properties is easier than using report builder.

Thus can you tell me how to open report builder 3.0 files that are located report server using bids (visual studio.net) on my workstation?

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 2:41 AM
  • Hi There

If you would like to save the rdl file from the server to your local drive just go the report server by typing

http://yourdomian/reports

and then go to the folder you would like to download the file click on the report right corner and it will give you option to download the report and you will be able to store that anywhere inside your drive and open with BIDS

If you have any question please let me know.

Many Thanks
    Syed Qazafi Anjum

Please click "Mark as Answer" if this resolves your problem or "Vote as Helpful" if you find it helpful.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 2:51 AM
  • I have the following additional questions to ask:

1. I am wondering how I am suppose to open the file from the report server? I  opened the file as a website. I then got the error message: 'nable to open the website http://domain/reports. The web server does not appear to have Front page extensions." that is why I am wondering if I opened the website incorrectly. (Note: I am a programmer sometimes so I have the full visual studio.net with the C#.net options installed on my workstation.)

2. I am wondering if I create a report in SSRS 2008 r2 bids  then want to work with the report using report builder 3.0 on the report server, is there a way to save the rdl to the report server directly? Would I need to publish the report to the report server first?

• Edited by wendy elizabeth Tuesday, May 22, 2012 2:01 PM add more comments
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 1:38 PM
  • Hi Wendy

You do not need to publish the RDL file to the report server from BIDS in order to work from report builder. You could save it on your local drive and then you can open it from the report builder from your local hard drive or from any network drive.

A screenshot for your help.

I hope I understand and answered your question

Many Thanks
    Syed Qazafi Anjum

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 8:08 PM
  • You answered my first question. Thanks!

How about the second question:

I am wondering if I create a report in SSRS 2008 r2 bids  then want to work with the report using report builder 3.0 on the report server, is there a way to save the rdl to the report server directly? Would I need to publish the report to the report server first?

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 9:09 PM
  • Hi There

As I said in the begging that on the report server the RDL files stored as BLOB. However t when you publish the reports to the server you can use those published reports and work on it from report builder and save it back to server. If you don’t like to work on published reports you have to work on the RDL stored on your local drive or on network drive where you have stored after working from BIDS.

Then you can publish those reports to the report server.

I hope this will help

Many Thanks
    Syed Qazafi Anjum

• Marked as answer by Lola Wang Wednesday, May 23, 2012 1:39 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Lola Wang Wednesday, May 23, 2012 1:39 AM
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 9:35 PM
  • On an earlier part of this you you stated the following:

"If you would like to save the rdl file from the server to your local drive just go the report server by typing

http://yourdomian/reports

and then go to the folder you would like to download the file click on the report right corner and it will give you option to download the report and you will be able to store that anywhere inside your drive and open with BIDS.

On the report server I am working with, there are some existing reports where  I do not see the download option. In fact when I do not see 'download' I do not see other options like 'manage', 'edit in report builder', and some others.

Thus can you tell me why I do not see some of these other options? Would some security settings need to change? If so, what settings would need to change?

Thanks for your help!

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 3:26 AM
  • Hi Wendy

You can assign yourself either My Reports or Publisher role or content manger role in order to have that option (download report and manage contents etc.) depending on your requirements

For more information please have a look

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms156465(v=sql.90)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/ms156036(v=sql.90)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms156338(v=sql.90).aspx

If you have any questions please do ask.

Many Thanks
    Syed Qazafi Anjum

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 4:40 AM