none
Stored Procedure has no return type, when it should RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a problem where I'm trying to add a stored procedure to my DBML file, and it insists that the procedure has no return type, even though the last statement in the procedure is a SELECT.

The fully query is as below:

Code Snippet

ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[FindComputers]

@SearchString varchar(16),

@UserName varchar(16)

AS

BEGIN

DECLARE @ApplicationId uniqueidentifier

SELECT @ApplicationId = NULL

SELECT @ApplicationId = ApplicationId FROM aspnet_Applications WHERE LOWER('LabManager') = LoweredApplicationName

DECLARE @UserId uniqueidentifier

SELECT @UserId = NULL

SELECT @UserId = UserId

FROM dbo.aspnet_Users

WHERE LoweredUserName = LOWER(@UserName) AND ApplicationId = @ApplicationId

SELECT DISTINCT c.* FROM Computer c

INNER JOIN SecurityAccess s ON c.computerid = s.computerid or c.labid = s.labid or c.siteid = s.siteid

INNER JOIN aspnet_roles AS r ON s.roleid = r.roleid

WHERE c.name like ('%' + @SearchString + '%')

AND r.RoleName IN (

SELECT r.RoleName

FROM dbo.aspnet_Roles r, dbo.aspnet_UsersInRoles ur

WHERE r.RoleId = ur.RoleId AND r.ApplicationId = @ApplicationId AND ur.UserId = @UserId

)

GROUP BY c.name, c.siteid, c.labid, c.computerid, c.macaddress, c.expressid, c.altirisid, c.inmaintenancemode, c.lastchange, r.roleid, c.islectern, c.fcmis, c.inproduction, c.targetcomputerid, c.computertypeid

HAVING

min (

CASE

WHEN s.computerid IS NOT NULL THEN s.allowaccess + 1

WHEN s.labid IS NOT NULL THEN s.allowaccess + 3

WHEN s.siteid IS NOT NULL THEN s.allowaccess + 5

ELSE 7

END

) % 2 = 0

ORDER BY c.name

END

I'd really love to know why it won't give it a return type. Testing the procedure with Step Into Procedure, it does everything as it should from what I can tell.

Many Thanks,

Jessica

Monday, June 16, 2008 11:52 PM

Answers

All replies

• I first posted something about this here: http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3184132&SiteID=1

I also posted a bug report here: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=339154

I believe it's because of the 'declares' or other stuff BEFORE the select.

workaorunds for include making the VERY FIRST THING (after the BEGIN statement) being a false / fake select statemement which returns some dummy results, but in the correct format.

so for you, maybe try this?

SELECT DISTINCT c.* FROM Computer c

that's it. get rid of all the rest (copy/paste it somewhere else). save sproc. drag onto designer and then check what is designed.

if the code is right, replace the content of the sproc with your original sql and save .. do NOT drag back to designer.

run linq code and see if it's working.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 1:22 AM
  • Thanks for the link to your thread. One of the replies provided the 'fix' to make the designer work.

Moving the last END up to just before the SELECT to be returned made the designer generate the correct return type.

Jessica

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 1:43 AM