none
MS Word crash when closing... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've a vsto add-in created using VS 2008 targeting .net framework 3.5. The add-in work flawlessly from Word 2007 to Word 2013. But after the major update for Windows 8.1 (Update 1), the add-in will have problem when using in Word 2013. When I try to close Word, Word will crash ( dialog box stating that Word trying to find solution ....). When I try to uncheck my addin in the COM add-in list, Word will also crash. Opening the Word again will no longer show the add-in.

In the event viewer, when Word crash, there is an error related to winword.exe and faulting module name is PenIMC.dll. Googling it return some info about the dll being used in tablet/touch screen device?

From my testing,

a) using my addin in a non touch screen laptop with Windows 8.1 Update and Office 2013. RESULT: Word does not crash.

b) using my addin in a touch enabled screen laptop with Windows 8.1 Update and Office 2013. RESULT: Word crash everytime I close it.

c) re-develop the addin using VS 2012 targeting .net 4. RESULT: Word don't crash.

PS: I also have add-in for Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook. And all behave the same: crash when closing the app.

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 1:55 AM

Answers

• Hi,

>> Is it ok if the target set to .Net 4?

I could not confirm this part since I don't have a device to test it at my hand currently. Sorry for the inconvenience.

As I saw from the Connect ticket, another workaround is: building without the /HIGHENTROPYVA option. I suggest you to try this workaround if this issue still exists in the .NET Framework 4.

Hope it will help.

Regards,

Jeffrey

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 1:30 AM
  • I've tested my addin (target .net 4.0 CP) in Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 8.1 Update with combination of Office 2007, 2010 and 2013. So far, the add-ins can work in all test combination without problem. And the original word crash problem (Office 2013 and Windows 8.1 update) no longer happen. So I will be using this setting for my add-in and also continue testing.

Thanks.

Monday, June 16, 2014 2:52 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I assume the you develop VSTO based add-in due to the fact that you posted the question to the VSTO specific forum. If so, please take a look at the Running Solutions in Different Versions of Microsoft Office article in MSDN. It states:

Office 2013 and Office 2010 applications include the Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime. Therefore, these applications always use the Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime rather than the Visual Studio Tools for the Microsoft Office system (version 3.0 Runtime) in this scenario. Applications in the 2007 Microsoft Office system can use the Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime or the Visual Studio Tools for the Microsoft Office system (version 3.0 Runtime).

Please make sure that you installed all the required prerequisites before running the solution.

Microsoft Office applications can disable add-ins that behave unexpectedly. If an application does not load your add-in, the application might have hard disabled or soft disabled your add-in.

Hard disabling can occur when an add-in causes the application to close unexpectedly. It might also occur on your development computer if you stop the debugger while the Startup event handler in your add-in is executing.

Soft disabling can occur when an add-in produces an error that does not cause the application to unexpectedly close. For example, an application might soft disable an add-in if it throws an unhandled exception while the Startup event handler is executing.

You can read more about this in the How to: Re-enable an Add-in That Has Been Disabled article.

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 8:18 AM
  • Thanks Eugene, but sorry, it doesn't help me.
    Wednesday, June 4, 2014 12:17 AM
  • Hi azmas,

Do you have any error message, I guess the error is “Access Violation in PenIMC.dll”, is that the case?

If so, I suggest you to target .Net Framework to 4.5. According to connect Access Violation in PenIMC.dll for WPF apps built with /highentropyva on Windows 8 touchscreens, this issue had already been fixed in .NET framework 4.5.

Hope it will help.

Regards,

Jeffrey

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, June 6, 2014 2:48 AM
  • Hi Jeffrey,

I just check the error in the event viewer and noticed that the exception code is 0xc0000005, which I think should be the access violation error.

I've recompiled my addin project in Visual Studio 2012 targeting Office 2010 template and .net framework 4.0. I've tested the add-in in Windows 8.1 Update and it doesn't crash anymore (although I've yet to test it in Windows 8 or plain 8.1). Is it ok if the target set to .net 4? I still have to support add-in running in Windows XP :( ...I think XP doesn't support .net 4.5, right?

Thanks.

Friday, June 6, 2014 3:09 AM
  • Hi,

>> Is it ok if the target set to .Net 4?

I could not confirm this part since I don't have a device to test it at my hand currently. Sorry for the inconvenience.

As I saw from the Connect ticket, another workaround is: building without the /HIGHENTROPYVA option. I suggest you to try this workaround if this issue still exists in the .NET Framework 4.

Hope it will help.

Regards,

Jeffrey

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 1:30 AM
  • I've tested my addin (target .net 4.0 CP) in Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 8.1 Update with combination of Office 2007, 2010 and 2013. So far, the add-ins can work in all test combination without problem. And the original word crash problem (Office 2013 and Windows 8.1 update) no longer happen. So I will be using this setting for my add-in and also continue testing.

Thanks.

Monday, June 16, 2014 2:52 AM