none
Group item and button not showing up RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a new Outlook 2013 add-in project. I'm trying to add a new group and button to the Home tab.  I tried following the XML guidelines here, but have yet to have any luck getting it to show up in the ribbon. Here is what I have so far:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <customUI xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2009/07/customui" onLoad="Ribbon_Load">
      <ribbon>
        <tabs>
          <tab id="swTab"
              idMso="TabMail">
            <group label="Spiceworks"
                   id="swGroup">
              <button id="settingsBtn"
                  size="large"
                  label="Change Connection Settings" />
            </group>
          </tab>
        </tabs>
      </ribbon>
    </customUI>
    Am I overlooking something?

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 3:30 AM

Answers

All replies

• Is your add-in loaded?Do you get any UI errors? See How to: Show Add-in User Interface Errors .

P.S. Did you try to debug the add-in? Is your Ribbon_Load callback invoked?

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 5:58 AM
  • The add-in is loaded and yes I've tried debugging it. I've got UI errors turned on but nothing is showing up in the Error List or in the Output pertaining with my app's name in it.

I put a breakpoint in the Ribbon_Load function but no matter which tab I clicked on it never hit. So apparently it's not invoking that when the ribbon.xml is loaded.

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 10:26 PM
  • Hi,

Base on my test, I found that it doesn’t work if I specify id and idMso in a tab.

According to your description, you are want to add new group to Home tab, so please remove id property of tag.

<tab idMso="TabMail">

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, January 22, 2015 9:10 AM
  • Hi,

Base on my test, I found that it doesn’t work if I specify id and idMso in a tab.

According to your description, you are want to add new group to Home tab, so please remove id property of tag.

<tab idMso="TabMail">

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

I just tried that and my Output window now has data that looks like it's loaded, but I don't see it anywhere on the Home tab. By the way, in the Output window I'm seeing a lot of "Skipped loading symbols". Is this normal?
    Thursday, January 22, 2015 4:02 PM
  • It looks like your is not loaded by the host application. Am I right?

Microsoft Office applications can disable add-ins that behave unexpectedly. If an application does not load your add-in when you try to debug it, the application might have hard disabled or soft disabled your add-in.

Hard disabling can occur when an add-in causes the application to close unexpectedly. It might also occur on your development computer if you stop the debugger while the Startup event handler in your add-in is executing.

Soft disabling can occur when an add-in produces an error that does not cause the application to unexpectedly close. For example, an application might soft disable an add-in if it throws an unhandled exception while the Startup event handler is executing.

When you re-enable a soft-disabled add-in, the application immediately attempts to load the add-in. If the problem that initially caused the application to soft disable the add-in has not been fixed, the application will soft disable the add-in again.

You can read more about this in the How to: Re-enable an Add-in That Has Been Disabled article.

Thursday, January 22, 2015 5:09 PM
  • It is not showing up in the Inactive or Disabled list. It's like it's there just not showing up.
    Thursday, January 22, 2015 5:34 PM
  • Is your add-in listed in the COM Add-ins dialog? Is it loaded by the host application? Did you try to set a breakpoint at the Startup procedure?
    Thursday, January 22, 2015 5:58 PM
  • Yes, it is listed in the COM Add-ins dialog. I don't have anything in the startup procedure so I just added a breakpoint to the function itself and it hit the breakpoint almost immediately after starting hitting the debug button.
    Thursday, January 22, 2015 6:02 PM
  • Okay. When and where do you return the XML markup shown in you initial post there?
    Thursday, January 22, 2015 6:11 PM
  • I thought that's what the Ribbon_Load was for.
    Thursday, January 22, 2015 6:25 PM
  • Well, it looks like we have found the cause. Make sure that you did all the steps described in the Walkthrough: Creating a Custom Tab by Using Ribbon XML article in MSDN.
    Thursday, January 22, 2015 6:44 PM
  • Thanks! Adding the function below allowed it to show up.

protected override Office.IRibbonExtensibility CreateRibbonExtensibilityObject()
            {
                return new Ribbon();
            }

Thursday, January 22, 2015 6:49 PM