locked
Entity Data Model Wizard quits when attempting to generate model from database RRS feed

  • Question

  • In VS2010 SP1, if I add > new item > ADO.NET Entity Data Model, then select "Generate from database" and click Next, the wizard becomes unresponsive for about thirty seconds, then disappears without an error.

    I have tried the following: uninstalled and reinstalled Entity Framework 4.1, uninstalled all extensions, repaired Visual Studio, and eventually uninstalled and reinstalled Visual Studio.

    I have also tried running procmon during the wizard process, but nothing jumps out at me.

    It may be important to note that after clicking Next, the window looks like this while it hangs:

     

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 6:55 PM

Answers

  • I finally fixed this by renaming the folder c:\users\myusername\appdata\roaming\microsoft\visualstudio\10.0 to "10.0 old".  When I launched visual studio after that, some of my preferences were lost, but the wizard is working again.

    I couldn't find and fix the one file because most of those files in the 10.0 folder are binary gobbledygook.

    UPDATE:

    This is happening again and again.  I hate losing all my settings by essentially wiping out the 10.0 folder, so I had to narrow it down to the one file - turns out it is c:\users\myusername\appdata\roaming\microsoft\visualstudio\10.0\SeverExplorer\DefaultView.SEView.  Something I am doing (actually I blame ODAC) is fouling this up periodically, but if I simply delete this file, the entity data model wizard works again.  And I don't have to lose any settings but some server explorer stuff which I try to avoid anyway.

    • Marked as answer by hmqcnoesy Tuesday, January 31, 2012 10:21 PM
    • Edited by hmqcnoesy Tuesday, March 6, 2012 6:33 PM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 10:21 PM

All replies

  • Here's a little more info -

    I've found that if I login to my machine as another user, the wizard works fine. 

    Also, the server shown in the dropdown in the above screenshot is a retired server.

    I think the wizard is trying to connect to this database (probably the last database I connected to using the wizard) and timing out.  Apparently the wizard doesn't know how to handle that???

    Anyway, I think if I can find where that "last" database preference is stored I can wipe it out and I should be in business again.  I've scoured the registry and file system, but no luck so far.

    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:58 PM
  • I finally fixed this by renaming the folder c:\users\myusername\appdata\roaming\microsoft\visualstudio\10.0 to "10.0 old".  When I launched visual studio after that, some of my preferences were lost, but the wizard is working again.

    I couldn't find and fix the one file because most of those files in the 10.0 folder are binary gobbledygook.

    UPDATE:

    This is happening again and again.  I hate losing all my settings by essentially wiping out the 10.0 folder, so I had to narrow it down to the one file - turns out it is c:\users\myusername\appdata\roaming\microsoft\visualstudio\10.0\SeverExplorer\DefaultView.SEView.  Something I am doing (actually I blame ODAC) is fouling this up periodically, but if I simply delete this file, the entity data model wizard works again.  And I don't have to lose any settings but some server explorer stuff which I try to avoid anyway.

    • Marked as answer by hmqcnoesy Tuesday, January 31, 2012 10:21 PM
    • Edited by hmqcnoesy Tuesday, March 6, 2012 6:33 PM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 10:21 PM
  • Hi hmqcnoesy,

    Thank you for your active participation in the MSDN community. I’m glad to hear that you resolve this issue. And thank you for sharing your solutions and experience here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

    If you have any difficulty in future programming, we welcome you to post here again.

    Regards,


    Helen Zhou [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 1:32 AM