none
Nominally invisible paragraph after an inner table at the end of a cell RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all;

When the contents of a cell are a table, Word places an empty paragraph after the table at the end of the cell. I think this is because you must have a </p> before a </tc>. But that leaves the question - how do I figure out if that following paragraph is a Word inserted don't show paragraph vs. the user put a blank paragraph after the table?

thanks - dave

Who will win The International Collegiate Programming Championships?

Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:50 PM

Answers

• Hi David,

There always should be a <p/> inside a table cell and there is no way to distinguish between a user inserted <p/> and Word inserted one.  However, the Word inserted one is always empty with no text, and this is a Word implementation requirement.  For example, one <p> is the Word-required <p>, any more are from the user.  There will be a change in the implementer notes to reflect this information.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards,

Mark Miller | Open Specifications Support Team

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 5:46 PM

All replies

• Hi David,

Thank you for your question.  A colleague will be in contact to investigate this issue.

Regards,

Thursday, May 10, 2012 8:43 PM
  • You cannot tell the difference - a paragraph is a paragraph is a paragraph.

I don't believe the empty paragraph is necessary but Word does put one there if you _paste_ a table inside a cell. Since pasting is a UI action done by the user, you should be able to assume that the user is aware of, and wants, the paragraph, however it materialised.

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    Friday, May 11, 2012 5:30 PM
  • Hi Tony;

That's what I thought at first. However you cannot delete it in Word and if you go to document.xml and delete it you get an error that </p> must precede </tc>. And it auto-hides but with no hide setting.

So something special is going on...

thanks - dave

Friday, May 11, 2012 5:56 PM
  • Hi David,

It seems this question is not entirely resolved.  I will investigate and follow up if you agree.

Regards,

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 4:49 PM
  • I Agree, I Agree :)

Yes, please find out when the paragraph is hidden.

thanks - dave

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 5:04 PM
  • Hi David,

There always should be a <p/> inside a table cell and there is no way to distinguish between a user inserted <p/> and Word inserted one.  However, the Word inserted one is always empty with no text, and this is a Word implementation requirement.  For example, one <p> is the Word-required <p>, any more are from the user.  There will be a change in the implementer notes to reflect this information.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards,

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 5:46 PM